Originally Posted by Anonymous
Anyone have a grasp for how often on age freshman make varsity on MIAA teams?

Is it routine? An totally anomaly?

My kid is in middle school and am just wondering.
MM will chime in soon and let you know that all of his 91 players make V freshman year. Other than them, I would say not many out of all the freshman players out there.

On age? More of an anomaly in the MIAA. Especially at the top 5. I know of just a handful. And they were on bottom-half MIAA teams. No knock. But it makes sense, obviously as there more opportunities at those schools.

Want to know your chances? Look at the overall program numbers. Most of the schools like CH, Loyola, BL, have 100+ kids in their lax programs.

25 Fresh/Soph, 25 JV, 40+ Varsity. 10+ underclass wannabes/cuts. You have better chances at smaller or developing schools like StM, StP, JC, MSJ, Severn.

A better, more telling stat- see how many kids are in the freshman class across ALL teams. And then how many seniors the varsity has rostered.

My son is a '22 and was looking at one of the larger, all-male high schools. At the time, he would have been one of 14 incoming ATTACKMEN in his freshman class. There are currently only 11 kids from the ENTIRE class of 22 who made it through to senior year. He settled on one of the schools above, and has been varsity since Soph year. Gotten a lot of game tape against the best in the nation, and committed to Navy. Been a great experience.

Your son is a 22 Attackmen going to a navy?

His son should have stuck with UMBC. He won’t see the field at Navy. He wouldn’t have seen the field at “one of the larger all male schools” Like all 2022 Dbacks, he peaked in 6th grade. But hey congrats on free college though

Your eyes are green with envy.

100%

Nothing quite like belittling a good kid who is signing up to protect your freedom to be a complete laxer.

This whole board is fueled with jealous dads.