Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think the overlap/influence of PrimeTime has doomed JJ. PT director has been a JJ HS asst coach. Over the past 7-8 years, lots of JJ kids have filled the PT rosters at the young grade levels (say 3rd - 6th). Then in middle school up to high school, most of those JJ players have gotten cut by PT as other talent rolls in each year (including many repeats) from surrounding towns and sometimes far away. Lots of JJ kids have gotten disillusioned and quit the sport through that process.

I disagree. Look, PT is a top nationally ranked club team, JJ would be lucky to have 1 or 2 kids per year in the HS team. If kids get cut , need to get over themselves. You don’t need to be PT level to contribute on the HS team. THE issue is Timmy, not connected to the kids in any way throughout the year, doesn’t do any work out side practice and game day, just shows up and coaches. No investment in kids or program. Cuts anyone he thinks won’t contribute, shouldn’t a good coach develop kids? Coaching philosophy from 1980’s that doesn’t motivate or work in 2021. Yorktown would never allow only 24 kids on a team. He needs to go, let the alum take over. Daniello has done more for the program than anyone at this point, someone like him is connected to the kids, can recruit athletes and build back what Timmy crumbled.

The original poster is 100 percent correct. We are still part of the community and Schurr wants nothing to do with the town program and the extra time necessary. These programs are built on the youth and the town and he couldn't care. He also doesn't reach out to parents and try to keep them involved. He does nothing. BTW, he never did, rather he lucked out that JJ had very good kids who went to the HS. There is a reason that close to a dozen members of the 2022/2023 class have left the program to go to other private and PUBLIC schools. There is no unity and it starts with the youth program. Some of these boys would have left regardless but not all. Next year they may have a bit of a bounce back bc there are still a few decent 2022 grads but after that they are in for a looooong downfall unless new families move in OR the culture changes. With the boys who left, the program would be the best in the state and it wouldn't even be close. There have also been many boys who would be strong additions (maybe not D1 commits) who played PT but bc they did not make the upper level PT team have quit the sport. Some of these athletes who quit are excellent players. Unfortunately there is a stigma attached and having the butt't coach be the coach perpetuates that and the boys quit. PT is seen as the only team in town and why bother continuing playing if you are not on that team. Lastly, JJ does nothing as a team in the summer, fall or winter, no team lifting, nada, nyet. I have friends in other communities who tell me all that they do. For years JJ lived on the PT members who made up a substantial part of the varsity team but those days are over.