Originally Posted by Anonymous
I
--- "The injuries to Cuse players hasn't effected their play. They have plenty of talent - they don't depend or rely on 1 or 2 players - something you can't say about alot of teams"---

What team relies on 1 or 2 players? Last time I checked this is a team sport and there are 12 players on the field for each team. Your statement illustrates one of the things that is wrong with this sport, "Parents who can only see value in scoring goals". Many teams have to deal with injuries every year and there are a lot of teams with plenty of talent.

You are so right, UNC has the best offense by far but they would not be undefeated without their defense/goalie

More times than not (just about all of the time) it is the team with the best Team Defense and solid goalie play that wins The Championship. UNC Midfielders are pretty darn good as well.

While that’s a nice sentiment I am not sure that’s actually true . Looking at some past years results there have been a few shoot outs and I don’t really count the pre-shot clock low scoring games as being about defense as much as stalling in many cases . I think a well balanced team is what gets you thru the whole tournament .

Just another person who spouts nonsense with no basis on reality, facts or actual results. Each of the past 6 National Championships were won by teams that held their opponents to fewer goals than their season average. Team Defense and Good / Great Goaltending is what wins championships.

2014 National Championship: Maryland over Syracuse. Syracuse held to 12 goals, their season average was 14.4.
2015 National Championship: Maryland over UNC. UNC held to 8 goals, their season average was 13.5.
2016 National Championship: UNC over Maryland. Maryland held to 7 goals, their season average was 14.7.
2017 National Championship: Maryland over BC. BC held to 13v goals, their season average was 16.
2018 National Championship: JMU over BC. BC held to 15 goals, their season average was 15.7
2019 National Championship: Maryland over BC. BC held to 10 goals, their season average was 16.8.

Shot Clock or no Shot Clock, it is Defense that wins championships. There were no "shoot outs" and BTW, most would consider "stalling" a defensive tactic. Also 5 of the 6 years the team that won The National Championship played Man to Man Defense.... JMU an aberration on many fronts....