Every sport (Football not included) is extremely expensive if the goal is to play in college. Hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, wrestling, swimming, tennis, volleyball etc... private clubs, private training, strength training, travel etc.... no cheap dates. The difference with Lacrosse being from Long Island there are 10x the opportunities for our girls. Even if you are not one of the top tier players the opportunities are fantastic. The top players can pretty much pick their school (for some you do need excellent grades) try getting into Princeton, Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, Notre Dame with out lacrosse or if you are not a top tier player? Try getting into Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, UVA , Michigan etc... if you are not a good player. The list goes on... the other Ivy’s, unc, BC, USC, Cal.... it’s crazy Out of state admissions at Maryland, Penn State, Virginia Tech etc... are all tough. How about Army and Navy? Good luck on your own . Not leaving anyone out intentionally just rattling off... that’s just DI.... go apply to a NESCAC without the coach. No other sport provides these opportunities? How Many Long Island girls are on the Field Hockey Rosters at UNC or Princeton, how many soccer players are on their rosters? How many LI girls are playing basketball in the ACC, Big 10 or The Ivy League ? Compare those numbers to How many are on the women’s lacrosse rosters in those conferences .
I wish it were much less expensive but at the end of the day I view all the money that we spent over the years (even when we really didn’t have it) as well worth it . All of my kids made a lot of friends, learned a lot of lessons and it is all working out academically as well.