Originally Posted by Anonymous
Traditional powerhouse high schools are not producing as many Division I players as they once did. I believe Garden City has no Division I players for the class of 2021. The other schools listed have a few. High schools that in the past were not known for lacrosse are now producing multiple Division I players ahead of the likes of Garden City. Things are changing. The best teams are still the traditional ones however it is more because of depth and not because they have the best starters.

Great point. To add if you look at many of the top D1 Rosters especially underclassman and those just signing you notice more and more kids are coming from non- traditional lacrosse states which speaks to growth of sport. Also, I have read several articles where multiple D1 coaches state they are looking for the best athletes they can develop within their own programs. High potential raw athletes. Many/arguably most of these kids also have not played as many years and their love of the game is at its peak as opposed to the burnout that many of us (myself included) may have caused by getting stunk into 12 month lacrosse.

Garden City has no Division I players for 2021. Massapequa only has one. There are no-name Long Island high schools with two or more Division I players for 2021 class. Those kids from the no-name high schools are definitely taking spots on the division one rosters from the Long Island traditional powerhouse high school kids.

I'm not sure how that's even possible. Are you just talking about the published/announced players on IL?

You can look at high school signing day announcements too. The post is very accurate. A lot of division one players from schools you would never think could produce a division one player. Schools like Garden City has none and Pequa has one.
So what all our kids should stop playing lacrosse because they won't get a D1 ride? Is that the reason we all played. The talent pool has opened with the growth of the sport. The stranglehold that LI had because of coaches and players at the next level is not longer exclusive, bound to happen.

What growth are you referring to? Per US Lacrosse, total participation growth has slowed in recent years, and I don’t see any reason for it accelerate in near future.

2002 = 13.5%
2003 = 4.7%
2004 = 16.7%
2005 = 8.4%
2006 = 11.7%
2007 = 12.8%
2008 = 9.1%
2009 = 8.4%
2010 = 10.0%
2011 = 9.6%
2012 = 5.5%
2013 = 3.4%
2014 = 3.5%
2015 = 3.8%
2016 = 3.0%
2017 = 0.1%
2018 = 0.3%

Also, from a per capita perspective, MD is the stronghold in terms of top D1 players and lax participation.

And MD is not far behind from an absolute youth participation:
NY = 55k
MD = 48k

Why all the Long Island haters?