Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think it’s pretty easy to blame the parents. This virus really exposed how much they don’t care about the B teams. Their A teams were loaded up with tourneys.....and the B teams barely had any at all.

I am not in LI and cannot speak directing to Express, but have been director of good sized club for years and can tell you in my experience parental support is not the reason B teams have issues. After the first few years of play (younger ages are a crapshoot), here is my honest assessment of our B team which I try and be as transparent as possible with our parents about. There are usually 1-3 kids I honestly see as borderline A and could easily move up, then another 1-2 who I don't see as A team potential but have some singular skill whether it be great speed, size, strength that doesn't currently translate but the type of player I've been wrong on in the past. After that, I tell parents that their boys are most likely going to be B team players unless something dramatic happens. The parental problems occur when that bottom 15-18 players parents don't belevie me yet stay with our club. I have been wrong on late bloomers of course as no one is perfect in assesment, but 95% of the time I know their kids lax skills better than they do. That being said, the bigger B team issue is when we have problems with weather, fields, tournaments, coaching etc. I have to serve my A team first. If there is one field available for a practice, the A team gets it. If an A team coach has to leave, I'll move up someone from B if that's what is best for the club. Those are me being a disservice to our B teams, but unfortunately that is life. My job is to run a club and supporting the A team first even at the expense of B at times is necessary to do my best job. I agree it stinks at times, but if you are on the A team at a smaller club you will also lose field time, coaches, players but just to another organization not your A team.