Originally Posted by Anonymous
Respectfully, you are wasting your time if you are not on the top team. Find an organization where you can be on a team that will go to the premier tournaments so your kid can be seen. The older the kids get the harder it is to break into another top team, so don't wait. Express B teams tend to practice sporadically and go to lesser tournaments. Coaches and organization do not take it seriously. Bad combination. My kid is in college now. I was amazed when he was being recruited at just how dialed in the college coaches were to the travel club scene. They will 100% be hesitant about a kid that is supposedly a top player but isn't on the top Express team. It could all be political BS, but the optics are terrible and you can't have that issue out there if your kid is trying to get recruited.

And when things resume, hit individuals showcases as others have said. There is a massive misconception that recruiting all happens with the club. If you are a Top 100 player in the country and on a premier team that may be good enough. After that, you have to hit the individual showcases, shop your highlight tape, email coaches, go to prospect days/camps and basically just hustle.

Above all, don't put all your eggs in the Express basket or get ready to be disappointed.

Good luck!!

From a guy who’s kid has been on the B team for couple years with a different club......I couldn’t agree more. My kid isn’t close to being recruited yet. But the B team is a waste of time and money with the bigger clubs. You are so much better off switching and playing for a “top team” of a different (smaller) club. What happened to us was classic bait and switch. “Your kid is really close to being brought up. We just want him to do one more year on the B team”. Don’t fall for it. These big clubs don’t give a garbage about the B team.

B team issues is 100% on the parents. They don’t fully commit to these teams and show up to practice sporadically. And the better ones think they belong on A team and won’t play B. The point is get the right mix of dedicated families it will be fine.

I think it’s pretty easy to blame the parents. This virus really exposed how much they don’t care about the B teams. Their A teams were loaded up with tourneys.....and the B teams barely had any at all.