Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'd urge everyone to contact their club directors and the NCAA about this July 1st proposal. The IWLCA clearly did not consider the impact on the 2022 class (or worse, did not care). How can girls figure out their lists, get to know coaches, schools, etc., when they MAY NOT EVEN BE CONTACTED until well into their senior years? If D1 recruiting takes 4-5 months (and it may be longer as July/August are two of the months), girls cannot even apply to schools that may be interested in them. And, why is only ONE sport seeking this relief? We've seen Navy lacrosse commit girls already this year, not to mention field hockey, baseball, football/basketball. If a college coach doesn't want to offer a girl, that's their right, but to not be able to COMMUNICATE is absurd. I thought the IWLCA would be "there for you" when this was over- this does the opposite - it takes away the chance to evaluate completely the D1 landscape.

This will have a huge negative impact to the 2022 class. I don't understand the logic. Am I missing something? They need their junior year to communicate with these coaches and teams and visit and evaluate the school to be sure both are a good fit. These girls already have a lot of game film. They were watched in-person all last Summer and Fall and already have a lot of film even if they didn't attend any tournaments this summer. This class has already been to college camps, showcases and clinics over the years. The only benefit to delaying until July 2021 is for the coaches and not the players. It gives coaches the chance to figure out how many roster spots are actually available due to the 5th year and to combine the 2022/2023 recruiting classes to fill these open spots. And of course it gives the D2 & D3 coaches a huge head start. Maybe these schools will be able to attract recruits who would've otherwise gone to a D1 program. I would hope the NCAA wouldn't approve this just for women's lacrosse but keep the same earlier dates for the 2022 boys as well as all the other sports (field hockey, tennis, etc).