Originally Posted by Anonymous
My oldest son is beyond this now so he doesn't have to deal with this crap anymore. But for years we watched and marvelled at how much bigger the MD boys always seemed to be. And for years I would get the same stock answer (like it was maybe rehearsed?)from all of the MD parents I'd ask about age - they would always dance around it and say they were all in 8th or 9th grade and that they were not aware of anyone born in a particular year (ie. 93 or 94 etc.). You could tell how uncomfortable they were talking about age and that they'd rather pull their own tooth (yes, punn intended)out than talk about age. But we always had our strong suspicions, we just could never find any way to prove it. Here's the article. FINALLY BUSTED!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...e2-9c03-6952ff305f35_story.html?hpid=z14
Excellent article covering many different points and recommended reading for all BOTC visitors (although we are not sure about what was "busted" in the article's text). Some of the key sections of the article are these:
  • Fully-funded Division I teams — there are currently 63 squads at the top level, with four more set to debut next spring [Furman, Boston University, Richmond and Monmouth] — divide 12.6 scholarships over a roster of about 40 players, and full rides to play the sport at the next level are almost unheard of.
  • By the time college coaches can call players or speak with them off campus — July 1 before a recruit’s senior year of high school — most recruiting classes have already filled up.
  • “If you don’t [reach out early], those players and their families will think that you’re not interested while maybe some of the guys that you’re competing against are,” Maryland Coach John Tillman added.