Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
"There is no such thing as a level playing field. No particular reason why we did not hold our children back, never gave it much thought in kindergarten we felt all were ready to go one is a December birthday (we saw how being old for the grade helped) the others are middle of the year and have done just fine although one would have benefited from being held back or re-classed."

The old life's not fair argument , its no excuse for not trying. There is a reason NYSHAA has rules about age .Its an unfair advantage given often to families of greater wealth and there is no reason that travel teams should not be based on age .Why should players be at a disadvantage because their parents did not want to work the system. That said these 3 specific kids will go on to have successful careers and I hope they do but they have received many accolades ,awards, and positions on all star teams at the expense of on age players. There are many kids who are on age who will never receive the honor of ALL American at the end of this season because people take advantage of the season and those awards go to players who should already be in college. Yes that's life but it does not make it stink any less for those kids who otherwise would have been recognized.

I guess, I just don't think it is that big of a deal. Have listened to people carrying on about on the boys side for years. In the end it is a personal decision and it is not against any law and it does not break any rules.

This is true...just don't be bragging about how great your kid is....in the end she's just another a holdback whose parents didn't believe she was good enough to compete against girls her own age. No Jealousy here. My daughter competes just fine playing on age, and has plenty of accolades to prove it.