Originally Posted by Anonymous
This system is far from perfect. My daughter is very fortunate to have heard from several schools this week. However, she did not hear from any of the schools she is most interested in. She is trying to be honest with the schools that have reached out but does not want to say no in case something comes together from one of her tops. Once the top 20 schools finish going through the top 100-150 girls and realize that they will still have many holes to fill, I assume they will contact the rest. I am starting to wish there was a contact period starting Sept 1 and an offer period after the fall tournaments were over. If she is forced to respond to the schools that have reached out, says no to all of them, and nothing materializes from her tops, she will be crushed. I was hoping this would be easier.

The best advice I've read recently is that Sept 1 is the start of the process, not the finish line. Coaches understand that players are considering multiple options, just like players need to understand coaches are considering multiple options. Are the programs that contacted your daughter similar in ranking to the schools she is most interested in that did not reach out? If so, I would suggest pursuing the options she likes best that reached out in addition to continuing to try to get on the other schools' radar. If not, she probably needs to reevaluate expectations. Your daughter can take time to explore options without telling coaches a hard yes/no within a week of Sept 1. Schedule phone calls, schedule a few visits this fall with the interested schools that most interest her. In the meantime, continue reaching out to other schools she didn't hear from and maybe things will change in a month or two if getting a spot at those schools is realistic. Good luck and hope you daughter ends up with some offers she is happy with.

Thank you. Her list was likely too ambitious and she is trying to put a list of prospect days to go to this fall. The biggest issue with the schools that contacted her is that they are not schools she go to without sports.

Maybe too ambitious maybe not. The sands are constantly shifting and coaches have to keep revising their lists. That said, the recruiting process does tend to put things in perspective and really does let parents and players know where the player stands. Remember, recruiting does not take place in a vacuum, the decisions that other recruits make can affect your daughter. If one of your daughters dream schools has a hard time nailing down their top recruits the coach will have to shift focus to a new group of potential recruits. Make sure that every coach on the coaching staff knows just how much your daughter wants attend the university and be a part of their program (but don't become annoying). I would agree that your daughter should identify some other schools to pursue but pursue them in addition to her current dream schools.