Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by noangel
Thanks for your totally ignorant response. What part of my post leads you to believe i consider myself special. I asked for opinions and IMHO you are an A**.

here here. Sleep away lax dad here. Depending on your sons age (as I stated above) I believe it is possible to do both. Maybe not on one of the elite teams but from your original question I will assume that your son is 5th grade or below. At that level there should be no issue with either the camp director allowing you to take your son out of camp for weekend tournys and the club allowing him to miss some practices. This is also why I do not think it is a big deal for some clubs to maintain a, b and even c teams. A B or C team might be a good fit for a younger sleep away plater. Now just enjoy the weekly friday afternoon trip up Rt 17 to go get him and than traveling to Princeton or PA for the tournys. Like I said I never did it but I know some Dads who did. Its not easy especially the driving but I guess its a good bonding opptunity.

My son went to sleepaway and played travel lacrosse on a top team, he is now in 8th grade. The reality today is that the better teams even in 3-5 grade prefer not to have sleepaway kids on their teams because while they may come out of camp for tournaments, they will miss the practices leading up to tournaments. The weaker teams will take camp kids if they help them win tournaments in the spring and fall. My personal opinion is that most kids miss 20% of practices anyway just due to conflicts, being sick etc. Many kids miss one tournament also due to conflicts so no different than a camp kid. Also most club teams are now practicing all year and playing in fall and spring tournaments so going to sleepaway camp and missing 6 weeks of lacrosse (6 practices out of 25 a year and 1-2 tournaments) really doesnt impact the team. I think the answer is that if you have a camp kid tryout and he is good enough to make the team, you take him. some clubs may disagree. I understand thye flip side of the argument also.