Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is a pretty shallow (and repetitive) argument on multiple threads btw. You are implying that college coaches have no integrity here. I think that is unfair.

The coaches on the women's side studied this for 4+ years considering different dates and strategies to slow down recruiting. Many people wanted July 1 of senior year...coaches knew it wouldn't have enough support. That said....the September 1st date was all about having a full summer to evaluate and play in peace (no phone calls or texts); having August for families and coaches to unwind from a busy summer and having the fall to visit schools when teams are on campus and school is in session so PSA's could see a full day in the life of a player. Important information for better decision making on both sides of the equation.

Coaches wanting kids to come to their camp has not changed in 10-15 years. If you ask college coaches (on the women's side at least), they will tell you the Sept 1st legislation has impacted their camp numbers negatively...but they do not care because they think the impact of the rule has been good so far.

Guess you didn't get the email from Duke that states "Note: all but one of our six 2020 commits have been to our camps consistently over the last few years."

Which is weird because word on the street is DUKE was one of the main players behind the rule change and the amendment 2018-93-2, I felt/feel like I have to take my daughter to every Duke event if she wants to a chance to attend Duke. Hey in a few months I can find out if it was worth it, it only took three or four events at one school.

[ChillLaxin].

Shallow or repetitive....sorry someone needs to tell the parents because so they can at least be informed. The 21's got screwed and there is no way to fix it. The least we could do is talk to the people taking our money at camp and maybe for four years after that.

I would have to say that 2021 class will definitely be the most observed class ever, by the college coaches. They have been looked at and observed by the coaches way longer and more thoroughly than any class ever before. Now with the contact and verbals pushed back to summer entering Jr year, you should see a much better percentage of coaches getting it right. The top players of the age group are going to be in more demand than ever as they have had full exposure to nearly all the top programs, something that was completely missing with the early commit thing. They have to be thrilled that the gamble they are now taking on a kid is much closer to the product they will see walking through their doors freshman year.

Wrong. Early recruiting was driven by the coaches at the "Top Programs". The coaches from places like Maryland, Northwestern, North Carolina, Boston College etc... were all fighting to get the top kids. They were all competing for the same small group of players. The coaches know what they are looking for and they can spot it early and it does not change that much. As for "getting it right" the top programs do not miss very often. By the way, the top programs were not blanket recruiting 9th graders, Each program was targeting a select group of players. There were not hundreds of players being recruited by the top programs when they were in the 9th grade. The coaches at the top programs do not get it wrong very often and there are very few "late bloomers" out there. When the "stud late bloomer" does pop up the top programs will recruit them even if they are committed elsewhere.

This is a pretty shallow (and repetitive) argument on multiple threads btw. You are implying that college coaches have no integrity here. I think that is unfair.

The coaches on the women's side studied this for 4+ years considering different dates and strategies to slow down recruiting. Many people wanted July 1 of senior year...coaches knew it wouldn't have enough support. That said....the September 1st date was all about having a full summer to evaluate and play in peace (no phone calls or texts); having August for families and coaches to unwind from a busy summer and having the fall to visit schools when teams are on campus and school is in session so PSA's could see a full day in the life of a player. Important information for better decision making on both sides of the equation.

Coaches wanting kids to come to their camp has not changed in 10-15 years. If you ask college coaches (on the women's side at least), they will tell you the Sept 1st legislation has impacted their camp numbers negatively...but they do not care because they think the impact of the rule has been good so far.

Guess you didn't get the email from Duke that states "Note: all but one of our six 2020 commits have been to our camps consistently over the last few years."

Which is weird because word on the street is DUKE was one of the main players behind the rule change and the amendment 2018-93-2, I felt/feel like I have to take my daughter to every Duke event if she wants to a chance to attend Duke. Hey in a few months I can find out if it was worth it, it only took three or four events at one school.

[ChillLaxin].

Shallow or repetitive....sorry someone needs to tell the parents because so they can at least be informed. The 21's got screwed and there is no way to fix it. The least we could do is talk to the people taking our money at camp and maybe for four years after that.

I would have to say that 2021 class will definitely be the most observed class ever, by the college coaches. They have been looked at and observed by the coaches way longer and more thoroughly than any class ever before. Now with the contact and verbals pushed back to summer entering Jr year, you should see a much better percentage of coaches getting it right. The top players of the age group are going to be in more demand than ever as they have had full exposure to nearly all the top programs, something that was completely missing with the early commit thing. They have to be thrilled that the gamble they are now taking on a kid is much closer to the product they will see walking through their doors freshman year.

They still have to get it right, Top players in more demand? You just like to hear yourself talk...stop the nonsense.

[ChillLaxin].

They still have to get it right, Top players in more demand? You just like to hear yourself talk...stop the nonsense.

In more demand absolutely.That was the entire reason early recruiting was happening, a few programs were getting more and more aggressive trying to get a jump on the competition by offering earlier and earlier every year. So many of those kids never got to fully explore all options. Not the case for all, but many parents were in a race to have their kid to commit. Yes the group of say top 50 will get heaps of calls on opening day. Here is the difference, most of the coaches have now had a chance to see the top players, and all understand they need to get offers in on the opening bell. Instead of lone coaches sneaking out offers a little earlier each year. These top players are in a much better position now, they will compile every school interested on day one, rather than no opening bell and the interest trickling in as coaches uncomfortably made offers earlier and earlier trying to beat the rebels. Been through this first hand, and got the feeling from nearly all the coaches that they were very uncomfortable with early recruiting but felt they needed to do it because others were doing it and they had no choice.