Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
not "just" a scrimmage, but a scrimmage against a team picked by experts to be the 2nd best in the country. Clearly they aren't there yet as they got handled in every facet of the game by a "C" school. Yes, June is what matters but clearly any observer would walk away from viewing this saying Mount Sinai can play, with anyone...and maybe Suffolk A is more open than people have prognosticated for this season.

WM is a shell of what it was, waaaay overrated. The Inside Lacrosse article is an embarrassment, and will be a dagger to burry them. Agree that Suffolk A is wide open. Although there is isolated talent on some teams, nobody has a complete team. Will be interesting!

Your post shows that WM is doing something right. After all, who hates on the unsuccessful? I'm not sure if you are saying that the author of the article should be embarrassed, or the players, or the entire WM community at large, or maybe all of the above. I'm willing to bet that the players didn't petition IL to come write an article about them. And I'm also willing to bet that if IL told your program they wanted to feature them in their magazine, your program wouldn't turn it down - just spit-balling on that one. Also, in case you haven't noticed, WM has won a couple of championships lately, so there is already a target on their back to begin with (if not, there should be!). Agreed, the article doesn't make it any easier for them, but they get everybody's best game, year in and year out and have to step up to that challenge - you should at least have enough humility to realize that, but probably not. If you read the piece (and i assume you did) you would know it was more about the program in general, its origins, and how it has managed to sustain success in an atmosphere of private and prep schools that are essentially lacrosse all-star teams (Catholics included) and not necessarily a piece about how great this year's team will be. They (WM) are returning 6 starters from last year (1 is injured right now), including 2 kids that have started since 2016. So you can understand the lofty predictions, which may or may not be accurate - but isn't that why championships aren't given out in the pre-season? Suffolk A is not wide open, but the top spot will definitely be within reach of more teams this year than usual. And WM definitely has more holes to fill than they usually do, but I wouldn't want to play them by the time they reach the playoffs (unless you are so biased to think they are so bad that they wont make the playoffs!). There will be bumps in the road for this team - yes- but i wouldn't be eulogizing them just yet over a scrimmage loss to an excellent, well-coach lacrosse team, regardless of class or division. That MS team is in mid-season form and has definitely put in time together in the off-season. They will be a terrific team this year - no question (psst - here's a secret, MS and/or SWR have beaten WM in scrimmages in prior years too and it worked out fine for WM in the end). If you are from MS, show some humility, act like you have been there before and hope you stay healthy; you should have a great year. And even though you didn't mention it in your post, others always bring it up when hating and denying credit - yes WM is a big district, but demographics matter more than population. And if you know anything about the district, you would know that like many other districts, enrollment is down and the shifting demographic is not lacrosse -favorable (I will leave it there lest the PC police come to get me). So just saying "they are a huge district and should win every year" is nonsense. Lacrosse is pretty popular on most of LI, last time I checked, and a lot of kids have access to travel ball regardless of district. Lastly, if you are an opponent of theirs...
Thanks for the bulletin board material!