Originally Posted by Anonymous
I love it! the club parent that everyone hates. My girl is great. She puts the time in. She's getting recruited. Your kid can't keep up so my daughter has to score 10 a game instead of passing. Its painful to share a sideline with people like this but unfortunately this is the club parent mentality and usually a YJ parent

You are correct. Many of the so called "club parents" are very tough to listen to or to be around. We have some that are beyond obnoxious, their actions and manipulation behind the scene, their comments, coaching and yelling on the sideline as well as their social media nonsense are all distasteful and overbearing. These parents have hijacked the sport, most of them know very little about the game or competitive team sports in general. There are very few "legit" players in each class on Long Island. The problem is that many of the parents think that because their daughter is going to play Division I that she is an elite player (not the case). I have a 2019 committed to a mid level DI program and no, my kid is not elite. Maybe there on 10 - 12 players per year on Long Island who are "high-end, legit, elite" players. Girls lacrosse is not girls soccer or basketball. In lacrosse If you put in the work you can play DI. By the way,
the majority of the offensive "club parents" are not the parents of the kids going to Maryland, North Carolina, Boston College, Northwestern etc... they are the parents of players going to mid to low-end programs. Here is a dose of reality for the odious "club parents".

Marist... is not Maryland.
Vermont... is not Virginia.
New Hampshire... is not Northwestern.
Cornell... is not Carolina.
BU..... is not BC.

It is what it is.

If you want to know where your daughter stands just look at the programs that are making offers. If it's Carolina, Maryland, Boston College, Northwestern, Duke, Virginia etc.. it's pretty safe to say that your kid is "legit". On the other hand, if the offers are coming from UConn, Lehigh, Delaware, Drexel etc... she is most likely not a high-end player. Not disrespecting players or programs just pointing out reality to the deplorable.

Hope some of the loathsome "club parents" tone it down a bit. Not all are abhorrent...

Sorry for the soapbox rant : ) ... Had to get it out before the season begins.

Im not sure what your point is? All of these are good schools? For the smart "club parenT" which I am .... my daughter is looking at the quality of educATION SHE will be getting above all else. Is it a good fit? You don't have to be the top ten elite athlete to get the most of what lax can offer? We are not going to the olympics, we are not going PRO after college...so if I look at that list...my kid would be looking at Cornell and VT....seriously...what is the point....here ????

Don’t fool yourself you are not all that smart. Quality of education and you pick VT . Of the schools mentioned you are way off base.

Be happy if your daughter is playing in HS and even happier if she will have the opportunity to compete in college at any level. The post was obviously directed at a certain segment of parents. Not all "club parents" are obnoxious but there are definitely certain ones who are absolutely too much. The ones who coach from the sideline, constantly encourage their daughter to "go to goal", know nothing about the game (yet talk as if they are an authority), contact HS coaches and athletic directors behind the scene, boast of their daughters ability and accolades, bash other players who garner more accolades or attention from college coaches, rip UA, IL etc... every time their daughter is not selected or recognized, make excuse after excuse why their daughter did not make a list or team or receive offers from top college programs. These are the same parents who go nuts on the sideline when players other than their daughter drop a pass, miss a shot, lose the ball, get beat on D etc... They think their daughter is a superstar but she is not. Most of the time the daughter is a decent player but not really high-end. The problem is the parents refuse to see it, they think she is a stud.

As far as education goes, lacrosse should be used to get into the best school possible and possibly help to make education more affordable.

The top players will have their choice of schools. All other players will find a good fit but they generally will not be able to choose a top program.

Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, Penn State, Boston College, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Princeton, Penn, Stanford, Duke, USC, Georgetown, Hopkins, Syracuse, Loyola, Florida are more times than not the destinations for the best HS players. Stony Brook has obviously had some incredible players the past several years but I have been told that those players were slightly under the radar in HS (not sure that I buy that completely).

For the most part, all of the other schools recruit the players that the above do not take.

Maybe one of the points of the other post was to tell the obnoxious parents to pipe down a bit, you kid is good but not as good as you think. If she were as good as you think she would be going to BC, UNC, Northwestern, Maryland etc... sit back and enjoy the game, stop coaching from the sideline, stop telling your kid to shoot every time she touches the ball, stop bashing the weaker players, stop politicking etc... enjoy the ride and be happy if she finds a great school to go to.