Originally Posted by Anonymous
A few things get me fired up. The way the states predetermine the sectional pairings for States. and the way Suffolk sets its regular season schedule.

States - The website below is not as updated as I would like, but some stats to highlight the travesty that Sect 8 and Sect 11 (long Island) can't play for a state title. if there is a more recent matrix please provide. Why would you never have the 2 best sections play each other for a championship is beyond me.

http://newyorksportswriters.org/reference/boys_lax_playoffs_sec_totals.shtml

SHAME ON YOU NYSPHSAA, THE PROOF IS IN THE STATS, YOU STILL SAY DISTANCE COST AND CONVENIENCE IS THE DRIVING FACTOR FOR SECTIONAL PAIRINGS, I SAY ITS YOUR SHEER LAZINESS TO CHANGE AS THE MAIN FACTOR. WHY NOT DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR AUGUST POSH/VACATION MEETINGS INSTEAD OF GAMBLING ON SOMETHING DIFFERENT. It seems like the only cost considerations and conveniences were found on the upstate sections. Saddle up boys you need to go Upstate to go win. Now don't get me wrong, I love they have to travel it is an invaluable experience onto itself, but imagine a Sect 8 vs Sect 11 state final on LI. There is arguably no better divisional sports rivalry in the country. Everybody but Chaminade and St. Anthony's would love that!

I know each year teams are different and you boys up in Victor and Westchester have done incredible things while in A/B/C but at the same time hotbeds are hot beds and it isnt fair that arguably the two best sections in the state will never play each other for the championship.

That rolls into my next rant, why cant Sect 11 take a look at the home and away advantages teams get over others. There is no way in heck a team should be given home field advantage in multiple years over any specific team, NO MATTER what your rank is. Yes, Sect XI has a matrix which allows them to enter the teams by ranking and the predetermined schedule pops out. But why cant the human element come into play and adjust for things like home and away. The teams have to play that day, and most of the times if varsity is playing at one school JV is at the other , so field usage isnt the issue. Whats the deal, It cant just be sheer laziness on Sect XI, can it.

You could have a senior class that has never had a home game in their entire time in high School. Wonder what the record is for the home team, pretty good huh, sure is they have "Home Field" advantage. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE OR ACCEPTABLE to never have a home game against a rival. More pathetic when it involves top 10 teams!

I believe they should rank all teams in the State and have a true NYS Champion. It should also include the private schools like other states do.
The new NY State Catholic Championship game will never be Chaminade vs St Anthonys because they play in the sectional and then play an upstate sectional winner - what a joke