Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would think though that these towns have some scale - an A and B? Just seems like an A team from a strong town/program (even at the youth level) like WI would be able to compete with a club team? In re reading some of these threads that there are more clubs popping up, kids switching (or being poached) that a town would be able to compete? While I'm sure some of the similar issues would exist it seems in theory that a B player would be working hard to try and make that A team, thus keeping the A player from not letting up to lose a spot - thus creating a very competitve environment? Would that B player who finally earned the A team for a town like WI might have more of a sense of pride for the town than if he made an express or 91 or other club teams mentioned here? Just a thought.

Ya know what? Maybe. Depends on the town. My town is small, not likely we'd ever be competive with a club team. We did have A and B teams. Well, first we had two teams with the talent spread out, which frustrated the better players. Then the powers that be re-sorted the teams into true A and B, and all [lacrosse] broke loose. Lots of B players were all sorts of outraged. A lot of bad feelings toward the coaches were verbalized, people were up in arms. The league stuck to its guns and, in the end, things settled down for the most part. Some B players quit because they didn't feel they were being recognized. Oh well.