Originally Posted by Anonymous
U19 Team, first round of cuts - seems like a disproportionate number from NU:

https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-u...e-names-2019-us-womens-u19-training-team

I am surprised that there were not more Northwestern players selected. The talent pool was very deep and many of the players headed to NU are very strong. The Northwestern coaching staff recruited their recruits over many of the players at the tryouts (they obviously like them better as players). Undoubtedly, there were players who were heavily recruited by NU who chose to go elsewhere but still made the squad.

Coach Amonte was quoted as saying “I’m really excited for the group that got selected. They really were dynamic. They were coachable. We were looking for players that could really work together and I think they distinguished themselves with those characteristics. We’re really pleased to be able to invite them to be a part of this special experience.” The takeaway is: the coaching staff went in with the goal of selecting "dynamic athletes" who were "coachable team players" who were able to demonstrate that they could "follow instructions" and "work together as a team". If there are several players of similar ability being considered I would expect the coach to choose the NU player.

Good luck to all of the players that were selected. Go USA!

Congrats to all the girls. And yes sad to see 9 NOrthwestern girls there, screams everything that is wrong with the political BS of this thing. Listen, they are an OK top 20 team, and that’s it. If you applied law of averages and all top 20 teams landed 9 of their players on the team, their would be 180 deserving kids to make the cut. Sorry but no team deserves 9 kids representing, certainly not NU, very sad!

I count seven Northwestern and I think that is fine. Please stop with an "OK top 20 team". NU is one of the best programs in the country (top 5 - 10). Coach Amonte has every right to select the players that she believes will help win the championship. Obviously she believes in the players headed to Northwestern, she recruited them. If she did not offer your daughter a spot at Northwestern why would you think she would offer her a spot on The US National Team? It is funny reading the comments and listening to the parents talk about how this is political and how they know who the more deserving players are. The women has won Seven National Championships and you stunands think that you know better. Most of you have no idea of what you are watching when you watch a game or a tryout.

On this site for many years and most of the parent think that scoring goals is the end all be all. I have read from time to time some posts that indicate more important factors and those posters are always shot down by the "go to goal" parents who carry on about "put the ball in the back of thee cage".

Coach Amonte put it out there, they were looking for players who demonstrated

- Players with passion who would bring a positive vibe to the team (selfish me first need not apply).
- Players who will go hard for a long period of time in whatever position they are put in. In other words players who hustle in all aspects of the game not just when going to goal (selfish lazy players need not apply).
- Team Players.
- Coachable Players.
- Versatile athletes who can play multiple positions (and are willing to do so ).
- High lacrosse IQ Players.
- Players who Communicate.
- Athletic Players with good footwork and body positioning.
- Players with good off ball skill on both sides of the ball (something that will be lost on many of you).
- Players with good vision (head up players who will make the right play not just go to goal or try to run it up).
- Players with good speed.

After talking with several people with insight... the tryouts were designed to identify the type of players that the coaches wanted (obviously the coach already knows the players she made offers to).
The players were constantly being told "given cue's" by the coaches as to what they wanted to see (work the two man, press out, double, push it, settle etc..) if the players ignored the cue and did their own thing... well , that didn't help.

They ran a 5 v 5 session that was all about seeing who was in shape and who would give an effort even when they were spent. Who was hustling and grinding and fighting when they were already exhausted. Getting back on defense, communicating and sliding even when they could barely run anymore was rewarded. Apparently they were watching to see who busted their butt. Goal hangers, lazy players and players who came in out of shape were not rewarded. It was a test.

Individual drills / station sessions also played a role in evaluating. Following instruction was important (is the player coachable?).

Scrimmages were also played but the teams were divided up based on the other sessions. Scrimmages are tough sometimes but on the final day players were given an opportunity for players to play their way back into the mix.

Not a perfect system but I trust in those selecting the team.

The Head Coach should have the ultimate say and I would expect her to select many of the players are going to NU or that she made offers to (she obviously thinks they are pretty good).

Go USA!!!! Congrats to the players.

The only thing that I would add is that there were only 36 spots available for the type of players the coaches were looking for. No doubt there were a number of players who met the criteria but no room on the roster. Agree that there are many parents who do not know very much.... It's always political with that type.

You do all realize that there will be another cut down the road and the final roster will be more like 20 players...