Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sorry guys, once a HS coach decides to make the summer team a "for-profit business" all bets are off. Once the line is crossed it is no longer a "High School Team". You can try to justify it but at the end of the day it is now a "pay to play for-profit business" and the players are now the customers. It is unfortunate that this is the way the sport has progressed but this is the reality. You simply can not have it both ways. It is either business or it is a HS Team. It can not be both.

So here we go again..........Cant have a HS/JV coach for summer travel teams. Cant have "daddy" coaches. Cant have college kids because they are usually hung over wearing flip flops and are here for summer only. College coach??.....cmon really, they are out scouting for their real team. So please, inform me who should be coaching summer travel teams that would meet your criteria???

As I have written earlier, any HS coach who gets involved in ANY town sponsored lacrosse is CRAZY!! It's a lose/lose situation.

Yes...... we get your "opinion"........easy to give an opinion.....how about your solution???? Is your opinion consistent with all other HS/JV coaches in other sports???

I feel any high school team that has a coach that is willing to coach a summer team is very lucky. It is pay to play of course. These tournaments are not free to join and its not free to put a staff together. You have travel, hotel, and food stipend expenses. Add some team gear for coaches on sidelines and also pay for the coaches and insurance. All the expenses add up.

Whats the benefit of doing out of season tournaments? Having your team gel and get a feeling for the up and coming players. Many of the teams that did well this year in high school also played a few summer tournaments together and also a few fall tournaments. Yes there are those towns that are lucky to have a few very strong club players but year to year that changes. So coaches need to keep their players playing together. Its a double edge sword because there are those that call these coaches crazy and there are the ones that are all for it. I for one would have loved for my sons high school coach to put together a few summer tournaments. His level of commitment to the team is sub par at best and the results showed it. Lost too many close games. You can practice all you want but its game experience that counts. Playing in these summer tournaments also allows for players to get experience in games that they may not get in season. A smart coach runs the plays he would in season so the new varsity players can get a feel for his style. As a result they will be ready when they are called upon. Of course you need players to put in the time on their own. If everyone buys in it leads to that and the senior and upperclassmen influence is very important. A non-cohesive team results in selfish play and a me me mentality.