Originally Posted by Anonymous
on the other hand, big KUDOS to all those boys that stuck with their high school teams and played at Ward Melville. and a huge "SHAME ON YOU" for all the boys who decided to stay selfish and not play with their High School teams.

Heard over and over again, so and so was home, so and so was working so and so was elsewhere. Not to sure, but many of these teams knew about these games months ago. At some point you have to have the High School team come first.

I heard teams told Sr. players, if they didnt attend certain games they cant become captain

Are you really going to start with this nonsense again?

BTW, which "other" hands are you referring to? Is it the hands of the HS Coaches who are grabbing the money? Didn't the tournament at WM charge each player an "entry fee"? How much was that fee again? How many players participated? How much money was collected? Where did that money go? Was this tournament run by The Ward Melville School District? Was it a charity event? Did the proceeds go to a worthy cause?

You really think that a young man should prioritize a bs high school tournament above of "work" commitment?

Didn't the High School Season end a while ago? Find me a single player who is missing High School Lacrosse for anything other than illness, family priorities, emergencies etc..

Maybe the boy is working to help pay for the "fee" to play for his so called "High School Summer Team"? How much did it cost each player to play at Ward Melville this past weekend?

The only selfish people are the - who want to hold kids back for their own selfish reasons. If a boy made the Under Armour team and you want him to stay and play in some pay to play money grab you are the one who should be ashamed.

Any coach who tells a player that he can not become a captain if he does not "Pay to Play" for their "quasi HS summer team" should be fired immediately.

I will ask my son and his teammates tonight if it has been implied in any way that if a player misses any "summer pay to play HS lacrosse" that he can not be considered for captain. If there has been any coercion whether explicit or implied I will make it my business to have that coach removed.

With respect to the game of lacrosse there are two types of people that can be classified as selfish and they are the very same people who should be ashamed of themselves.

1. The parents of the "average" players who want to hold the stronger players back. You see, they want their child to be able to play with the stronger players however, they do not want the stronger players to go off and play with better players on one of the top club teams.

2. HS coaches extorting money from players and their families.

(yes I get it the club directors are in it for the money as well but they are running a business and you do not have to give them your money if you do not want to)

To the best of my knowledge my son has never been penalized in any way by his HS coaches for playing club lacrosse, going to a showcase or Under Armour. If that changes, the coach will be out of a job before the school year begins.

You are one of those trouble makers, who are you to keep stating "the coach will be out", if you don't like something right away you call for the coaches head, guys like you should not be part of sports

I am not the poster that you are responding to but I will chime in.

The guy does not sound like a trouble maker at all. In fact, he sounds pretty reasonable. I agree, if my kid were coerced into playing for his HS coaches "pay to play - for profit" summer team I would want that coach gone as well. The original post stated that kids were missing do to the fact that they were working. I am proud of any young man who is working in the summer. If you think some meaningless tournament should come before work you are a stunad. If you think it is acceptable for HS coaches to coerce kids into paying them to play on a team or in a tournament through threats of not being considered for captain you are a bigger dope than originally thought. Let me clear it up for you, it's called extortion you dimwit.

You asked the question: "who are you to keep stating the coach will be out". He or she sounds like a parent who knows right from wrong. They sound like a parent that will stand up and make sure that people will be held accountable for their actions.

The person clearly stated that he was not aware of any nonsense taking place at his sons school and that his son has never been penalized for missing "school summer team" games in order to go to Under Armour, Club games or Showcases.

Do you actually think that coercion by a HS coach is acceptable?