Originally Posted by Anonymous
The real question is should a varsity HS coach be allowed to take money via their club team from their prospective players and expect all families to keep their noses clean by only choosing their organization? Is there punishment if they choose a different club? Isn’t it just time to end this charade and find coaches to lead young lacrosse players minus the resentment and anger and expectations? Why does the BOE in Manhasset allow parent coaches, coaches related to players and owners of travel teams to coach at the varsity level? Time for change.

How is that different than CR at Northport, Tracy weiner at Farmingde and all the YJ coaches? Elevate at Trinity? The other elevate director at Friends? And so on acrosss the island?

Danielle is not a teacher. Nor a full time employee of the school district. She is an outside contractor. As such, she is employed on a year to year basis. Private schools can hire whomever they want as they are well, private. CR is a teacher at Northport. I'm not sure of the others but you get the idea.

It is obviously a conflict of interest. If your kid didn't play for her HS coaches club yet some of the kids on her HS team did, you don't think that's a problem? Don't you think the coach should be beyond reproach? Do you your daughter's Math teacher to tutor her? Of course not. But it's allowed in a school sport. Can't have double standards - the policy needs to be uniform.

It's an issue across NYS not just the schools mentioned above. While this may have contributed to the firing of DG, I doubt its's the sole reason. Any insight as to other reasons?

So....what I find interesting that not too long ago (less than 10 years) all the rage was getting HS coaches to coach summer teams. It was said......great to have my HS coach as summer coach, great that players can learn HS system, great that team will learn to play together...oh yea the infamous- great not to have a "daddy" coach.... great that the cost should be cheaper than the few very selective travel teams, etc......... Fast forward to now......and you all are saying.....Get rid of these money hungry HS coaches who don't like my kid and therefore don't play my kid......Sooooo for all you whiners what is your solution??? Cant have "daddy coach, cant have college kid coach (all they do is wear flip flops), cant have a HS coach........So WHO coaches???? The truth is chances are most of the girls playing summer travel are not good enough to play under the old travel model which only had a few highly selective teams. Now with more teams more girls get opportunity to play. I'm curious to see some of the solutions to who can/should coach.....but I'm sure will receive more stupid comments than solutions

Maybe you feel that way with coaching in the past. However, a family should have the choice to play on any travel team not just the one associated with their town including Manhasset with Liberty and YJ with Northport. A coach cannot be objective with that type of conflict - do they choose the starter based on skill or the one that is paying them fees to be on their club? or the one that pays them money to give them privates? Their is an obvious conflict so remove it entirely. Will the coach be objective when a college coach asks about players? Perhaps but no one knows for certain. Certain teams are good and competitive but not all as you mention. Usually the top teams for most of these clubs are good and those top players get recruited to some top college lacrosse programs. I don't care who owns the club or coaches for the club but the school district cannot have that conflict - if you want to coach a HS club team or own it then you can't coach the HS team. There is an inherent conflict. School policy dictates a teacher cannot tutor their own students and the same policy should exist for the HS coaches and the players.

Hope you are this interested with the HS coaches that are involved in....soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball club teams etc. So your solution is coach decides between club/travel or HS to coach. A little extreme don't you think. This whole nonsense about HS coaches involved with club/travel typically involves a marginal player who feels they are not getting playing time etc.The truth is, If you are good you play. So again I ask.... what is your solution??? If no HS coaches can coach club.....who coaches travel/club. And I cant wait to hear the whiners when "daddy coaches" return to travel/club scene.