Originally Posted by Anonymous
I live out in suffolk and my daughter played liberty, All the negative things you see posted about DG i never experienced in all my time dealing with her. She was very attentive to my daughters individual recruiting needs and was very honest and forthright with us. Meg is absolutely fantastic with the girls and my daughter swears by them. The parents, not only from 'set, but from all the towns represented on my daughters team were fun and engaging. DG is no more slanted towards her 'set girls than CR is to Northport girls, BT is to ESM girls or AB is to Mts girls. To all the parents that respect DG there is a petition on the Change.org site to support her. Anything a parent on here reads from any person that is not affiliated with or a part of liberty does not know what they are talking about. Many parents get angry (or at least they did when we were on the team) because DG actually makes cuts because she does not want any more teams than she can handle, and give personal attention to (the real reason behind having only 2 teams per age)

The Manhasset girls varsity lacrosse coach was not reappointed to her role about two weeks after she led the team to a Class B state championship win.

The members of the team, and many of their parents, filled the Charlie Cardillo Community Room at Thursday night’s Board of Education meeting to voice concern over the district’s decision to not reappointing coach Danielle Gallagher.

One mother said the decision robs the team of all they accomplished – adding that Gallagher’s removal taints the girls state win on June 9.

The board said they could not discuss personnel matters in public.

“Personnel is personal,” Trustee Pat Aitken said.

All coaching assignments are made as year-to-year appointments, and recommendations for upcoming coaching assignments will be made over the summer.

Board President Regina Rule said this was the first she was hearing of the situation as well.

“I had a daughter on the 2014 team, so I have a sense of what you all are feeling in terms of celebratory mood that you had and the joy that you had on the field this year,” Rule said. ” … And i just want to say my heart is with you and we wish for you the best.”

Rule added that she’s grateful to the parents and students that came out, and thanks them for “understanding what we need to go through in following up with this.”

The board suggested a group of two to four people set up an appointment to discuss with Superintendent Vincent Butera.

Butera said he can meet as early as the first week of July.

“I can understand the frustration with the process, but there are things we can’t say,” Butera said.

Efforts to reach Gallagher were unavailing.

Gallagher, a two-time first team All-American athlete at the College of William and Mary, has been coaching the Manhasset team for about eight years and coached the team to a state championship victory in 2014 as well.

She’s served as a member of the U.S. Elite Women’s Lacrosse team beginning in 1987__

____
To Manhasset Parents, Alumni, Future Girls Lacrosse Players of Manhasset, and Other Supporters,

Appallingly, the Varsity Girls Lacrosse Coach, Danielle Gallagher, was told by the Athletic Director, Jim Amen that “We are moving in a different direction”, and that her 13-year coaching tenure at Manhasset was finished. There were no other reasons given, as Mr. Amen indicated that ‘he didn’t have to, coaching is a season, to season contract”.

At this week’s Manhasset school board meeting, the Manhasset Girls Varsity Team was recognized for their incredible season, winning the Nassau County, Long Island and New York State Championships. Missing from this momentous acknowledgement was their leader and coach, Danielle Gallagher.

At the meeting, parents and team players filled the room and spoke about Danielle’s passion for the sport, the amazing season that the girls had just finished, the importance of Danielle in the recruiting process, her leadership and willingness to be a part of the girls lives 365 days of the years, as opposed to just the season, her knowledge, her critical eye, her relationship with the girls – and so many other emotions and valued comments.

Questions evolved regarding – “How does the athletic director have this power, without consulting the school board”. It was explained that in the past, the athletic director addresses his recommendations to the superintendent’s office, which is then reviewed and indicated on a personnel schedule that the board votes on every time it meets. Regina Rule, the President of the Board, also indicated that the board cannot comment on personnel matters in an open forum, like the board meeting.

The board assured that in a timely matter, they would accept letters, emails, and meetings with Dr. Butera, to establish some sort of understanding of the actions of Mr. Amen.

Of the 40 years of history of girls lacrosse at Manhasset, Danielle has been a key component for 13 years. That’s over 32% of the legacy of Manhasset Girls Lacrosse! After winning a State Championship – what other direction is there but down?