Originally Posted by Anonymous
We played Madlax awhile back. Kid is now in college. Nobody cares if one team out of the dozens of teams madlax has is coached by a dad, and it's even less relevant if that dad is the owner.
Madlax has a dad coaching his own son. Part of the reason kids have left that team.

I laugh at this because I used to bash teams for the Dad coaches and everyone bashed me saying as long as the Dad is a good coach its not a big deal. But now that Madlax has a Dad coaching a team everyone is going nuts about it. What year team is this dad coaching? Let me know if he is coaching a high school age team then we can get all worked up. But I am pretty sure he is coaching a youth/middle school age team. And with the new Sept 1st rule pushing back the college looks its not a big deal this dad is coaching.

Nothing like "daddy ball" on a 7th or 8th grade travel club team. Rec is understandable, not a high level travel squad.

The bigger issues are the outdated and over coached offensive schemes that MadLax runs. It's predominantly iso-based with the coach barking out every individual iso and movement as though he has a joystick. The reason one kid left is because the offense was so scripted and didn't allow kids to just play and attack the cage.

Haha. Right. Lots of teams start out with an iso to try to draw a slide, then it's ball movement. I wouldn't say that is an outdated schema. You are misinformed, Dad.

I agree that an ISO initiates the offense, however in outdated ISO-based offenses, there's very little ball movement and it promotes bad habits such as kids standing around and waiting for the coach to call every ISO/dodge.

In today's college and high school offensive schemes, the initial dodge is typically the "window dressing". The actual dodge that teams are looking for happens off ball, typically two passes after the initial dodge because defenses have become so good at sliding early and anticipating the initial dodge.

More importantly, when there's an initial dodge in high level offensive schemes, there are screens and picks being set on the backside working with the crease to get an open look.

Ball movement, off ball movement, and dodging immediately off ball movement is what teaches kids to play much faster with higher IQ versus standing around and waiting for coaches to bark out every individual iso.