Originally Posted by Anonymous
When I was 22, I laughed at anybody that was thinking about teaching as a career

When I was 32 I was making twice as much money as a teacher and laughing at them

When I was 42 I was making 4 times what a teacher was making but working 80 hours a week and missing my kids growing up

When I was 52 I was making about the same as teacher half my age, but I was still working twice as hard

I am 62 and wish I had gone into teaching, I am making less money than when I was 32, I am no where near retiring and i will probably die at my desk.

nice pay, nice benefits, holidays, vacations and summers off with your kids - congrats on a good career choice.

Duh - the 180 "contact days" ARE AFTER school vacations vacations and holidays - they actually have to work those 180 contract days! Again, you're not too bright!

Finally - you got it...180 days of work for full years pay. Avg amount of work days/month (10 month school year)-18. And since you probably a HS PE teacher 4 hours work/day. See ya. Have a great day teaching duck-duck-goose

Since this all went way over your head, let me spell this out for you: No one ever inferred that teachers didn't work less days per year. And no one inferred that one could NOT make a good argument that for having worked less, that, furthered, teachers are paid (too) highly for less work (A point I actually agree with, because, as stated prior, I am NOT a TEACHER! I think all teachers and/or municipal jobs should either have lower wages AND great benefits/pensions, or vice versa, but NOT both - that was the way it used to be!). What you have entirely missed in this exchange is that the initial comment inferred that non teachers worked a lot more of the year than teachers than the ACTUAL difference bears out - that on an "apples to apples" basis, it's only a difference of ~50% vs ~65%. IE, that you had zero clue that the average non-teacher worker works only ~65% of the days of a year.

What do you do? Love to hear about your super tough day.

If you must know, I work in the financial industry, which means working way over the average in terms of time and effort, but at least the comp is commensurate with effort and results! So, yes, it is a super tough day, pretty much every day I am in the office not to mention the countless nights and weekends that go along with it. And I have zero regrets in the career of my choosing, nor does my feelings about municipal comp have anything to do with jealousy - rather, that sentiment comes in being a taxpayer that funds those jobs, and, as such, it is all of our right to question how the government spends its money relative to value derived as well as the sustainability of such spending. As pointed out earlier, higher than average salaries AND great benefits packages were never the norm for such jobs, and at about the same time they did became the norm, many municipalities started to go into the red and are now caught up in a ever growing mountain of debt that they can never recover from - that's the definition of unsustainable! So, even if you believe teachers comp and benefits are appropriate, that car is careening off into the ditch, and the end ain't gonna be pretty for anyone on either side of the equation!

Respectfully, your life sounds horrible