Originally Posted by Anonymous
This applies to just a handful of kids. Again delusional parents for the most part. Talk about the bottom 97% of kids that's more realistic the talk about ivies and full rides is overpowering on here

I think lax helping you get into a better school applies to all the kids. Doesn't just mean Ivy. It means it can open up options that most kids without a talent in a sport (or other discipline) don't have. It might mean getting into a school like William and Mary or Colgate (GREAT SCHOOLS) when the next tier or two down academically was all that would have been possible. Or Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette or many others. It could also mean getting into a better D3 school academically than would have otherwise been possible. The ability to use lax to heelp get into a better school applies to many more than 3% of the club playing girls, particularly if they hit the books as well. And yes, for the most talented 3% that also are good students, places like the Ivies, Stanford, Duke Northwestern and a few other extremely difficult to get into schools become realistic, when for most even unreal students, they r not.
[/quote]

Exactly. Ivy League is not necessarily what every kid is looking for. Lacrosse can also help with making schools that are a great fit for a player more affordable, even if the student could get in without lacrosse. My daughter's GPA and test scores are high enough to get into an ivy league as an athlete. She was recruited by a couple of ivies, but what she would like to major in is not offered at ivies. Plus, even with qualifying for some financial aid, the cost would be more than we can afford. My daughter's best fit ended up being a public university - one she can likely get into without lacrosse. But, the lacrosse scholarship allows her to attend for less than we would pay at our in state public universities. Everyone's situation is different and players/parents need to focus on what works best for their family instead of worrying about what sounds most impressive to others. Just like with deciding between a spot at a top five school with no money and little chance of playing a lot, or picking the top 20 school with a scholarship and realistic chance of being starter. Some kids are good with just being on the team, and some parents are ok paying 50-60k a year for that, others are not. One size does not fit all.