Originally Posted by Anonymous
The point is, there are no elite training programs for lacrosse in Maryland. The elite players work on their own and play for clubs that market them. Period. The clubs focus is to win games to get more kids to their program- not to train kids. Elite athletes at 14 in other sports have training systems. Lacrosse does not. But its your choice to believe the hype about clubs. Your kid may be elite, but he has you and himself to thank for that.

You have no idea what you are talking about

You must be a club director to suggest that my kids and their parents aren't responsible for their development and skill. I am happy to pay their clubs to organize and coach them, but you sir/madam are but one very small part of their lives. Remember this, its the kids and their parents that make you successful.

I am not a club director and you still have no idea what you are talking about

The above is one of the truest statements ever on these boards. The club does not make a player elite. Their athleticism, work ethic, outside skill development both on their own and with skilled coaches is what make the difference. There are plenty of elite kids on non elite teams that D1 coaches love because they have what it takes. Vice versa there are many bench sitters on the elite teams who will not get picked up by their first choices. First, because they never get on the field and second because they really don't have that special trait that makes them elite that a college coach can hone in on easily. The teams are elite because often elite kids can not handle being on anything but the best teams and surround themselves with other elite players but it is not the club's training. Perhaps the club has better college recruiting help, more connections etc. that draw more of the elite kids in but rarely is it the coaching or club that have made the kids elite.