Originally Posted by Anonymous
The poster actually stated "SOMETIMES he was bored at school". My son is within "age limits" & is "SOMETIMES bored in school". When making this decision (I also have Nov & Dec children) it should be based on emotional maturity, not intellect or size for sports.

The decision to "take away a year of earning potential from your child" amazes me...would that even come to mind when your child is 4/5? It NEVER was a thought when making decisions for my children.

Are there nutty people who do this for an advantage in sports? Probably but, for the most part it is a decision a parent has to make for their child that they will always question. Being the oldest or youngest in a grade has its pros & cons. You need to make this decision based on your childs maturity.

Not every "late birthday" kids parents are lunatics;)

This was not a critique of an anonymous post. It was a statement of facts and was not intended to offend

1-the original poster commented that their child was "bored at school" perhaps the child is very bright or the child is bored because he is more developed than his classmates. In either case the potential as well as the impact of being "bored at school" by being held back in kindergarten is significant. This should be taken into account as parent's make decisions.

2-the math behind the economics of entering the workforce at 22 instead of 23 is quite clear also. Deciding to take away an entire year of earning potential from your child is a very big decision to make. It will have much bigger impact on their life than being the youngest in their class

I think this is a great topic for a discussion forum even if it is anonymous

wow - what a difference a day makes - probably the best thing a parent can do is what ever the [lacrosse] they want to do with their own kid, hold them back a day, a month, a year, or whatever, I hardly think that the decisions made at 4 or 5 years old have anything to do with sports and everything to do with development both socially and developmental. and for you to be able to critique the decision of someone else on a anonymous board is ridiculous. all they were saying is that it worked out well for them.

Year of earning potential ? COme on. I could argue that by him starting college a year later I have more time for my money to compound a and pay more of his college tab. Its a silly argument. As for being bored, sometimes he is not, sometimes he has a hard time, I doubt a year ahead would have helped that. And like a HS guidance councilor once told me " 90% of my problems are Novemeber boys. I see some kids who are very young for their grade struggle, both in the class room and on the field. My son did not even start playing lax till 3rd grade, so its not like this was part of my long term gain an advantage in lax plan. But they should do like football go strictly by age. I don't think size matters as much in lax as it does in football, contact is not the same