Originally Posted by Anonymous
Sure, lots of thought given. I've come to conclusion that many on both sides of the argument want their kid to seem better now, not actually be better over time. Same thing you don't like about holdback kids that stand out under the current rules, but you want to dilute the division to make your kid seem better. You want to adjust to new rules, so your kid will look better in the system, now. I totally get it. I made my kid play up until HS, because I understand the game, but do you? Winning all of your youth games and thinking you are the best at the youth level is for helicopter parents. The holdbacks that could play up will be about as successful as your kid by changing to birth year, over time. Those of us that understand the actual game use the rules to get better, not to look better when it doesn't matter. No doubt at all that some kids play down to look better, but what are you trying to accomplish for your kid? Your hate of what they do is driving you to focus on the wrong goals for your kid. Diluting the talent in your division to give an impression that the average kids are better may satisfy a short term goal for parents, but actually weakens long term potential for the players. Again, I get it, and am by no means a fan of playing down, but there is a humble way to use what you hate to get what you want. Lots of thoughts given, brother, and sure it hurts to watch kids struggle, but that's why seasoned adults are supposed to understand the marathon, and you make adjustments along the way in an attempt to balance fun and meaningful growth. My guess, the Crabs forum is not for you, but hope this helps, my friend.

Oh boy....

I don't want my kid to seem better now, I want him to compete and be evaluated against his actual peers. If he decides to play up against bigger stronger faster competition that should be our choice, not some other parent's.

Requiring kids to play with kids their own age is not diluting competition - it's how every other sport works.

You do not use the rules to get better, you use the lack of rules to look better. Playing down makes average kids look like studs.

If this is a marathon then the holdbacks are riding in a golf cart.

Subtext of this entire post - you tell everyone else to play up to get better and you give your kid the easy path. Sad and a poor life lesson I think. Teaching our kids to make ethical choices throughout their lives, and not look for loopholes and shortcuts, is the real marathon, and that's where you are failing badly, my friend.[/quote]

Go shove a fidget spinner up your rear end and track it with your iphone. There's no age bracket for that, and you should be quite skilled. Just teach your kid to duck, life is tough sometimes, and there's no birth year sign up once you are on your own.

[/quote]

We all know life is tough, how gracious of you to offer to teach everyone else's kids tough life lessons while smoothing the path for your own. Weak and pathetic.

Nice comeback, why do these threads with holdback parents always end like this? What's next..
I know you are, what am I?