Originally Posted by ProtonPower
All this nonsense will be done and gone in less than 5 years, when every HS coach on the island has a summer/town program. West Islip and Ward Melville do it, and Garden City just got into the summer lax business in a big way. All those programs have already drawn players off the big club teams.

Not all towns do it, and not all the best players have jumped ship yet. But it is inevitable ... the school coaches will want to get on the summer fee bandwagon (call it a bonus), the boys will want to play with their friends, and the parents will want the boys to get exposure to the middle school and high school coaches that they will eventually (hopefully) play for. And the bottom line -- it's less expensive.

In the meantime, if you want to pay premium dollars for someone else's kid to get an A team experience at one of the "elite" clubs, it's your money.

I beleive many parents and players go into a try out hoping to make a certain team, if they do not make that team they already have a plan "B" outlined.

I do not agree if you are not an express or 91 "A" player that you are not an "A" player. I also agree that as some teams call themselves "A" they are "B" at best. I also have no problem (as should none of you) what a parent or player chooses to do if the player does not make their first priority. For some money is a serious consideration for others it is principle.

I do feel the elites clubs are setting themselves up for failure with these prices. How can some other organizations go to the same tournaments for less than half the price. The tournament fees are public (what isnt is the discounts these teams are getting. I am sure they are getting a significant discount). Note i didnt say win these tournamanets just go to them.

Now about the teams headed the town route, personally I wish this happened (but only starting at 7th grade), but what about those boys in towns where they do not have a strong programs. they are left at a disadvantage.

But what I dont understand is to say West Islip, Garden City and Ward Melville are doing this you may not have been at tryouts this season. The fields where filled with those helmets.