Originally Posted by Anonymous
the 2025 B team needs a lot of work. They got run over in the Blatant Tourney
so does every other Gold team. The Outlaws are not giving the extra support to them. The coaches need to be more committed. Most likely there will be more fallout next tryout season!

From my understanding it goes, Select, Black, Gold. Seems to me they're giving kids an opportunity to play travel that might not have too many options. Not too many 3rd teams are going to kill it. However, if kids challenge themselves and keep working they will be better players at the end of the summer. Which is what travel lacrosse is supposed to be about. Not supposed to be about W's right now...

Improvement = Wins. At some point it is about wins.

Actually you're soooo wrong. Look, if you're in this for wins and you're kid is on a B team, that's a tough road. If they lose to all other B teams, I get the frustration. That being said, if you're in travel so your son might have the opportunity to play college ball someday, I assure you, you need to refocus. Parents, the goal of travel for your son should be his personal development. Is he getting better from the beginning of the season to the end? That's what this whole thing was always about. I've been in it for 10 years. You need to surround your son with the best players HE can reasonably play with, and have him play the best competition you can find. Sometimes you gain more individually, by playing really tough competition in game the team loses. The whole playing up thing. Why do you think teams in college play a tough out of conference schedule? Against teams they have little chance of beating?
Point is, judge your son's success by his personal development and growth. Is he getting better? Don't focus on how many wins the team has!
Older son was a B team kid. Team always played against better teams and didn't win too much. But it forced him to play at another level against that competition. He found speed and skill he didn't know he had. He grew as a player individually. When he went back to his town team he was a much better player. Has gone on to play at a great D3 school that made the NCAA tournament!!!
Trust me, this travel thing should always be about the individuals personal growth and development... Your son won't always get better chalking up W's against weak competition on the tale end of the bench. If he's a stud on top AA team, same thing, that kid needs to play against those double hold backs from MD, Pa, and Mass. It will make that kid better.

I agree with what you are saying my thing is as the players improve at some point so should their record or at least the margin they win or lose by. I don't care if my son loses every game by 1 or 2 goals as long as they compete because lets face it as a young kid losing will wear them down and they will lose the love for the game. My kid was on a team for 2 years and all they did was lose and it wore him down. He switched teams and won a tourney for the first time in 3 years and you should have seen the look on his face. He looked energized and has been itching to play again. To some degree the kids need to see and feel the results of their hard work. It is easy as parents to say grow as a player and so on but kids don't always see it that way.