Originally Posted by Anonymous
I hate to tell you but you don't have to play for a big select team to be recognized as a top lacrosse player and if you have a stand-out athlete he will shine on any field he is on. You could pay and pay but it your child doesn't have it, it doesn't matter. Let's face it, recruiting for a college is on an individual basis. You got it, you're invited, end of story.

I concur. We are going through the recruiting process right now (2015). My son is considered very good at his position and plays for the top team at a high profile club. That said the recruiting process is still "every man for himself" even with the support of his club and school coaches. To find a combination of academics, location, coach, lax conferenoce, school size etc is a very personal and individualistic process. The worst mistake is to have your son give in to coordinating with and following his high school or club buddies to every prospect day. That is a recipe for making a huge mistake and a kid not discovering a fit that really works for him individually with the hope of continuing playing with his hs friends in college. He will be passing up great opportunities while trying to follow his friends and will regret it too late. Best advice I have to set your kid up for success is to be realistic about where your kid is academically and start from there. You dont want your kid to fail out of an ivy or NESCAC and in the process ruin his lax experience. Follow your own path and think differently from the herd and your kid will have a much easier process and a better end result.