Gee, that wasn't a defensive comment. My sport wasn't lacrosse. I don't blame my sport or sports for anything. I also don't regret things like drinking, partying and having a great social life on top of a sport. Those two things added together equaled a 3.0ish GPA and did regret not bearing down to get a 3.6-3.8 that I was capable of, but not until it was too late. I finished college sports in spring of my last year and then turned my attention to life after sports and college too late.

Sports did open some doors for interviews, but those doors shut fast when you are not qualified. So yeah, I manned up so to speak and worked for a couple years and then went to grad school and definitely made the most of that opportunity and I have a sports ethic to thank for picking myself up and pulling through. I own a business too and would simply say I do think it is a PLUS to see a college grad who was an athlete, but I don't really go in for bros with a 2.5 GPA in sociology even if it is from Duke or Notre Dame. Those kids are the new me of this generation and the world is a lot less kind to them - unless you hire all of them. They will need to be underemployed at first and get off to a slower start. That is the consequence. I'll take the kid who worked summers and part time jobs since he/she were 16 and got perfect grades every time over a knucklehead that might wonder why I don't get it he made all league in lacrosse.

I just tell my kids to never bargain their future for a few more years of playing a sport. I'm pro-lacrosse all the way if the kids take care of what is more important. BTW, how many parents of HS lacrosse players reading this have kids who don't have summer jobs or volunteer commitments? If a 16 year old kid has summer spoken for with 6-8 lacrosse events sucking out everything until early August but no summer job or other interests to pursue, I'd say that isn't a good way to go. I'd feel differently if a kid had a real shot to be a pro basketball, hockey, baseball player because those can be real careers. Lacrosse isn't that and probably never will be.