The enabling runs out. I honestly laugh at the whole "the world is run by C students who employ the A students" or the lacrosse (or other sport) club will let you roll into a high flying career. When exactly did selling crappy commercial real estate leases become a high powered career? I was the gentleman's C jock from a good college a generation ago and using sports connections helped somewhat to get interviews but my career got off to a slow and depressing start because nobody besides alums in a sport care about some random non-revenue former college ringer athlete. I recovered by getting a couple years of experience and was a little lucky to get into a good grad school but I'm not proud that I was an idiot then and wouldn't promote that as a good idea for our kids now. I think it is kind of sad and pathetic how many college lacrosse kids just come home after college and linger around club lacrosse coaching for little money and then go start the next generation of what sports can do for you lately after college, which in reality is very little.