Originally Posted by Anonymous
How does the new age requirement for youth lacrosse effect club teams? Will the tryouts next year be based on grade or age?

Clubs are probably asking the same questions we all are. I believe CR hosts a parent Q/A at the first practice and will be a good question to ask her.

I could be way off but I really don't think this will have a major impact, at least on LI for girls. I just don't see the hold backs that everybody crys about?

You will see them now

Yes you will. Like the old saying goes..."Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it".

I hope the clubs and tournament organizers are forced to follow new rules ... but what is there to compel them? Is it the pooled insurance US lax offers? Will it be the facilities demanding it in order to host tournaments given their insurance policies?

Nothing will change at all. Right now every tournament I know of loosely follows US Lax guidelines. The College coaches in attendance is what attracts clubs, coaches want to see grad classes, not a confusing mish mosh of age groups. Clubs want to present recruits in order too. With on field rules, game time, field sizes, uniforms etc... The only tournament who follows rules exactly is U15, which will now be U13,14 &15. The clubs have tryouts for these teams anyway and send age compliant kids. The only people who even remotely care about this crap are parents who cant handle taking a loss because one kid on some team is a few months older than the rest. Let it go, you will live longer.

Trying to remember if I've ever read a post w more incorrect statements and so many presumptions without any actual knowledge. Let's start w the fact that ur kid is obviously too old for their grade or u r involved w a club who makes money off the current system. W recruiting so young, and happening well before kids bodies r fully developed, many college coaches would love to see age based groupings. It will help them make fewer mistakes. And before u go on w your teed up response that how do I know what college coaches think, my daughter and many of her friends are assistants at D1 schools and are the ones on the recruiting circuit.

The people who care about this issue extend far beyond the parents of kids who are playing at the appropriate age and it isn't a question of a couple of months. One girl on a local high school team is two years old for her grade. And it is much worse and more dangerous on the boys side. So there are many constituencies including insurance companies, local and regional organizations as well as the national governing body that care about this issue.

Good job US Lacrosse. It took to long but it is the right move. As it has been for many other youth sports.