Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Some schools that only have half of their team in club are forced to sign up kids in gym class because the girls who could throw and catch have quit because they never got the ball. Hopefully some of the US Lacrosse changes coming forces these kids and coaches to pass the ball at the younger ages so more players develop and continue playing. Grow the sport.

You are correct that getting good at lacrosse is about good athletes getiing "touches". The part where you are wrong is that is not developed during games. So whether someone passes during a game (where I live our youth league requires 3 passes so the rules r in place) or not, is not how Little Suzie Who Never Touches The Ball, gets better. Little Suzie gets better by hitting a lax wall every day for 20-30 minutes on her own. By playing catch in her yard. By holding her stick and cradling while she's sitting around the house. At some point people need to realize that becoming good at something like lax is about passion, hard work and athleticism. Why is it always someone else's fault when our children fail? My daughter happens to be pretty good. And parents often ask me or my wife how she got so good. It always amazes me when we get this question. They seem to think there is some magic answer about some program or coach or something. The answer is simple. She has passion, works her tail off and was blessed with some innate athletic talent. BTW that is not some statement to say my daughter is somehow a better human being because she is good at a sport. I have other children who are not particularly athletic who succeed at other things because they are passionate about them and they work hard at. Seems like a pretty basic formula. So US Lacrosse rules are not going to be the magic bullet for you (although I support them). Passion and hard work is the solution. Try to instill that in them maybe?

Great post. Couldn't agree more.