Assuming this is accurate, would seem to prove the holdback discussion - not different school enrollment dates for different states. A 7th grader in 2014 would be an 8th grader in 2015 and a 9th grader in 2016 (this year).

Eighth-Grader Commits, Brings Recruiting Proposals to Light

Florida Select attacker , an eighth-grader at American Heritage School in Delray Beach, Fla., has verbally committed to play at Syracuse, according to Florida Lacrosse News. It's the earliest such commitment ever reported in men's or women's lacrosse, and comes at a time when college coaches are lobbying the NCAA to adopt legislation to stem early recruiting.

a member of the Sun Sentinel's All-Palm Beach team in 2014 as a seventh-grader, is the first player from her club team to commit to a college. She "is humbled and honored to play for the Orange and coach [Gary] Gait," she told FLN. She plans to major in communications and journalism.

Current NCAA recruiting rules say coaches can’t initiate communication with a prospective-student athlete until Sept 1. of his or her junior year of high school, but there is nothing stopping recruits from starting the process or from using third-party communication through a club or high school coach, for example. Those rules also don't apply to those too young to be classified as prospects by the NCAA definition of ninth-grade. (In men's basketball only, it's seventh-grade.)

Before current junior a goalie for Long Beach (N.Y.) High's varsity squad since seventh grade, was the earliest to commit to an NCAA Division I women's program. A member of the Yellow Jackets club, Reznick verbally committed to Florida on Aug. 20, 2014.

Similarly, this past July, just a few months shy of beginning his freshman year at Oakville Trafalgar High in Ontario, Canadian attackman became the earliest verbal commitment to an NCAA Division I men's lacrosse program – Virginia. The first freshman on record to make a verbal commitment to a Division I men's team was 6-foot-2 attackman Forry Smith, now a senior at The Haverford School (Pa.) who plans to attend Johns Hopkins next year.