Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don't care how old Crabs or Madlax players are, or if college coaches put credit or discount on 16 year olds playing with 14 year olds. Here is a different point: in football, they look at your physical stature and raw inputs like a running dash time. Basketball that matters a lot. Soccer, I've seen kids examined upside down and back over how well they can run and place the ball and a lot of academy soccer players don't even make it to college.

My point would be this: if I see a 6'1 or 6'2 kid who can really run, has a lot of balance and explosiveness...I know Mr. Weight room will work to round his stature out. Same thing with goalie where the college and MLL trends recently now that the game has grown are bigger and bigger kids who can also move. Basically, the way I see it is the only position in lacrosse where physical stature is less important is attack. Tons of small but very fast kids playing college lacrosse at attack. But everywhere else, I'd think that a college coach would be indifferent about ages on grade school teams if he sees that stature on the field. Bet early, middle or late all day long on the big kids who can really run, are balanced and explosive. What I don't get is seeing college coaches committing stick figure 2019 goalies whose helmets are several inches below the crossbar, and diminutive middies. For the life of me, I just don't get why they will bet unhedged on a kid being undersized after puberty and growth fills out, and for all those 5'7 130lb early recruits that risk is really high. What do others think?

If you think anyone (let alone many) of the early commits are 5'7" 130lb, you are tremendously stupid. They are placing bets on guys that will project to the next level. They are giving offers to kids who have great skill and can be effective at the next level athletically. They are not handing out offers to kids who weigh 130lb unless it is an exceptional goalie.