Originally Posted by Anonymous
Well, some pretty dug in Crabs dads out on the 'ole internet today. My son played at an Ivy and didn't play club lacrosse save for summers, and not for Crabs, and played on a Maryland public school high school team. He was a very good student and quite honestly was likely the last recruit in his class, and that he was such a great student and had a high AI which brought the AI average for the recruiting class up, he was most welcomed by the coaches as a junior...which was "too late". You don't need to do the list of must do's pounded into stone and carried down the mountain from your club lacrosse coach. I pick on Ryan McClernan for selling this lunacy to parents, and the only place where that is unfair is he is in a herd of all the same guy doing it to club lacrosse parents all over now.

But don't listen to me. I am not an expert. My son was not an early recruit. My son was not IL or RR ranked as a recruit. We didn't go or get invited to Jake Reed. But he did play a lot and had a great time in his college academic and athletic career, and now he is in a very good graduate school program

Unfortunately the youth lacrosse scene has changed significantly since your son went through his youth programs. Club is really all that is left for competitive lacrosse, Tex doesn't offer that any longer. The travel rec player now was your in house kid 3 years ago.

What your son was able to accomplish through the roughy he took, wouldn't happen today. Rec programs today don't offer the level of play as club.

I wish the movement didn't go in the direction of club, I thought the Maryland rec lax programs weren't broken and were very competitive, but the movement went club and we are now stuck paying four times what we would be paying for rec lacrosse so our kids stay competitive.