Originally Posted by Anonymous
The whole system is a total joke. Paying upwards of $20k for a travel team chasing a dream. Sure, does it benefit about 15% who get D1 scholarships? How about the parents whose kids are on the B,C,D teams? Wouldn't that $$ be better served paying for the first year's college tuition. And hooray for the 9th grader that commits to Hopkins? No freakin way! It hurts everyone else. It forces parents to push their kids to mature quicker than is natural. And you wonder why there are parents screaming like maniacs on the sideline of a 4th grade Team 91 game? Read this month's Inside Lacrosse on the poaching of players. I applaud Kevin Corrigan of Notre Dame. He plainly states he will not recruit 9th and 10th graders. Thank God. And he will continue to recruit the early commits of other teams when they become upperclassmen (ie Brian Willets). And Pietramala says he hates the system and recruiting freshmen, yet continues to do it. I pray his early commits change their minds and go elsewhere. We are pushing our children to mature earlier and earlier, the coaches complain about the system, and then perpetuate the same nonsense. As a disclaimer, I'm not only a parent, but a varsity coach and also coached a travel team.

The cost to play lacrosse in my town is very close to that of many travel teams. If you play year round , hire paid coaches, pay for indoor time, fall league winter league etc.. on top of that parents send their kids to camps at a young age and as they get older to recruiting events / showcases.

- Town Lacrosse is not free.

- you say "committing early hurts all kids, it forces parents to push their kid to mature quicker than natural. "

I disagree, parents push their kids to study and get good grades so they can get into a good college. They want their kid to work hard in the classroom so they will have options when it is time to select a college. Hopefully the best school will help lead to a good job and a great career. The work ethic and study habits developed along the way will help to ensure that the child is prepared to lead a productive life.

"If Hopkins, Penn, North Carolina, or Virginia are willing to commit a 9th or 10th grader so be it". All great schools and chances are that most of the lacrosse players would not be accepted on their academic merits alone.

If your kid has an offer from Penn or Hopkins in the 9th grade but you want to hold out for Notre Dame thats your choice.

- Parent have been screaming on the sideline for years. They have been doing it long before 91 came along. Travel lacrosse has nothing to do with crazy parents. I have seen many parents at our towns youth games go way over the edge.

-Who cares if ND recruits committed kids? its good for everyone. more options. Some kids develop early some late. Some schools recruit early some don't, its their choice.

Work hard in the classroom and on the field. Play as many sports as you want. Play for a travel team if you want, don't play if you don't want to. It is your choice.

If your child develops early and has an opportunity to commit to a great school that you believe will be a good fit congratulations to you and your kid.

If your child develops later and is a top player i'm sure they will find a great school that is a great fit.

If an early commit to UNC gets recruited away by ND guess what? UNC now has a spot for a someone else.