BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts389,653
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 198 of 327 1 2 196 197 198 199 200 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
wow my daughter got dropped by her coach last night because she tried out for yellow jackets and made one of the teams.....isn't that a little weird???? in lacrosse doesn't everyone tryout for different teams?

Who dropped her?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow my daughter got dropped by her coach last night because she tried out for yellow jackets and made one of the teams.....isn't that a little weird???? in lacrosse doesn't everyone tryout for different teams?

No coaches do not like that, and everyone makes YJ so they will find out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
where are the rosters for who made the team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What club did she get dropped from?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What club dropped her?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3 tg double dippers on 2018!!!!!!! Look at rosters for tg

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you are a smaller club would you rather be jerked around by a top player who continues to sniff around at other top clubs or take a weaker more loyal girl who will be happy for the roster spot and pay into your travel lacrosse machine? You can understand why she was cut.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rosters are up

After rose - what's the order of 2018 - best to worst? Thanks

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

Rose has great coaching and talent. Excellent team.
Graz has very good talent, but possibly the worst coach in the organization. Takes on extra girls so playing time is minimal.
Jones has great coaching and solid talent.
Mills has some very good girls and team has gotten much stronger over the past two seasons.

But like the above poster said, it doesn't matter as long as your daughter gets better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like a pretty good amount of Elevate kids came over to yj

Having been part of Elevate, I was thinking the exact opposite. I see few if any names I even recognize. I thought that there would be many girls coming over, but that is not the case at all. Again, there are only a couple. While your statement is completely false (unless you can point me to the age group I may have overlooked), I see very few kids that came over from Elevate.

Looks like there's more than a few names in the 2019 & 2020 teams and yes some do roster themselves for more than one club

fl$ has girls double rostered too, that's not good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like a pretty good amount of Elevate kids came over to yj

Having been part of Elevate, I was thinking the exact opposite. I see few if any names I even recognize. I thought that there would be many girls coming over, but that is not the case at all. Again, there are only a couple. While your statement is completely false (unless you can point me to the age group I may have overlooked), I see very few kids that came over from Elevate.

Looks like there's more than a few names in the 2019 & 2020 teams and yes some do roster themselves for more than one club

Does fl$ still even have a girls program?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Looks like a pretty good amount of Elevate kids came over to yj

Having been part of Elevate, I was thinking the exact opposite. I see few if any names I even recognize. I thought that there would be many girls coming over, but that is not the case at all. Again, there are only a couple. While your statement is completely false (unless you can point me to the age group I may have overlooked), I see very few kids that came over from Elevate. [/quote

So does tg

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Looks like a pretty good amount of Elevate kids came over to yj

Having been part of Elevate, I was thinking the exact opposite. I see few if any names I even recognize. I thought that there would be many girls coming over, but that is not the case at all. Again, there are only a couple. While your statement is completely false (unless you can point me to the age group I may have overlooked), I see very few kids that came over from Elevate. [/quote

So does tg

If I were these other organizations I would drop the girls too. They obviously thought they could do better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It doesn't matter who dropped her my post was more about girls trying out in multiple spots. I see girls doing that at every tryout. Everyone does it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It doesn't matter who dropped her my post was more about girls trying out in multiple spots. I see girls doing that at every tryout. Everyone does it.

So is she going with the 6th YJ team? Guess she has no choice now. Enjoy!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
if you are a smaller club would you rather be jerked around by a top player who continues to sniff around at other top clubs or take a weaker more loyal girl who will be happy for the roster spot and pay into your travel lacrosse machine? You can understand why she was cut.
If you trying out all over town its only a matter of time before you left anyway. If I ran a club I would cut you to IF I HAD KIDS WANTING TO TAKE YOUR SPOT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great coaching? Easy to coach top team. What makes it great coaching? Quality practice's or just reps?

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

Graz has very good talent, but possibly the worst coach in the organization. Takes on extra girls so playing time is minimal.
Mills has some very good girls and team has gotten much stronger over the past two seasons.

But like the above poster said, it doesn't matter as long as your daughter gets better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3 tg double dippers on 2018!!!!!!! Look at rosters for tg

Plus add several other 2018s who flat out left.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1) why did you ask if you didn't want the answer.
2) not everyone does it, I never did it with my kids. It's shows both coaches you have no loyalty.
3) sadly both teams know you double dipped, doesn't start your daughter off on a very good foot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow really nasty for no reason

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you trying out all over town its only a matter of time before you left anyway. If I ran a club I would cut you to IF I HAD KIDS WANTING TO TAKE YOUR SPOT.

So, I have an employee that works for me, they are ok, not great at their job and I know that they are interviewing with other firms. What should I do, wait until they quit to hire somebody new OR should I let them go and bring somebody in who is eager and wants their position?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great coaching? Easy to coach top team. What makes it great coaching? Quality practice's or just reps?

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

Yes, good coaching involves both quality practices and high reps; however, the ability to motivate a good player to be a player is just as important. The ability to handle egos and make them buy into the team concept (in the case of Rose's team) is equally important. Graz has some of the best talent on LI (maybe the east coast) but doesn't motivate the team to get better. Yells all game, and leans on previous skill instead of deeper development. He plays in B and C divisions in tournaments and still doesn't win.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The worst thing for girls lacrosse on Long Island would be if clubs like fl$, Express and 91 were to dissolve their programs. Just because they are not on the same level as Yellow Jackets does not mean they do not serve a purpose and offer girls who may not be the greatest athlete or got a late start playing lacrosse an opportunity. I cringe to think how much these top clubs would charge if there was no alternative. Real problem is people wanting to be a Yellow Jacket so bad that they will jump at the opportunity to be on the 5th or 6th team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

I have to agree, Graz is absolutely the worst coach. He has a bad temper and is not approachable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

I have to agree, Graz is absolutely the worst coach. He has a bad temper and is not approachable.

I agree. I also have a problem with a grown man texting his 13 and 14 year old girl playrs. He should email the parents and let them know his game and practice plan. And he is very aloof. I just think he thinks he's good because he gets good players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

Vehemently disagree. I've found him to be engaging and very approachable. Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I bet you're the original poster agreeing with yourself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

But he loves to do lessons and during those he is really nice!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

Are you serious? You have no idea what you are talking about.
My daughter is on Rose and we always compliment Coach Graz. He practices year round and does more tourneys than Rose!!!!!!!! He is a great guy and YJ is lucky to have him.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I wanted to try and bring a bit of "reality" (based in some actual data and facts) and different perspective to this forum. This post in not intended to "put down" any team or program but is merely my opinion of what the club landscape looks like today and how that translates into girls progressing to the next level. There are obviously some major "assumptions" in this but I think it gives some relatively useful insight.

If you look at the data (per Laxpower 2014-15 recruit database), there are ~ 1,060 D1 recruits each year (not including transfers). This number seems reasonable given that there are 107 D1 Women's Programs and each D1 program recruits ~ 9 girls per class (9 * 107 = 963). So let's keep it at a nice round number and say there are ~ 1,000 D1 Recruits each year.

If you look at breakdown of the quality of club teams and distribution of which club teams these D1 Recruits come from, the breakdown is approximately as follows:

Tier 1 Programs (Defined as the Top 1-10 Clubs in the Country): In my opinion, there are 4-5 clear top teams that are distinctly better than the rest- M&D Black, YJ Blue, Capital BLue, Skywalkers Blue and Lady Roc Yellow (Lady Roc could be questioned but they recently performed very well at the Presidents Cup). Then teams 6-10 (Top Guns Black, Steps Blue, TLC Red, Heros, and maybe MD United) are very strong but a slight notch down from the top 5. For these Top 10 programs, ~ 22 girls on each team ultimately play D1 (source: Laxpower and some of the club websites for these teams).

Tier 2 Programs (Defined as the Top 11-40 Teams in the country): These next 30 teams have been derived from tournament performance over this past summer and this fall). From a Long Island perspective, this group (in my opinion) includes YJ Gold, Top Guns Purple, Elevate Blue, and Liberty. These teams are very good teams in the larger landscape of girls youth lacrosse in the country and games between these teams are competitive. These teams could also compete with Teams 6-10 but struggle against the Top 5 teams. From these Tier 2 teams, there are ~ 15 girls from each team that, on average, are recruited to play D1 (source- Laxpower and various club websites in this group.

Tier 3 Teams: There are the Top 41-60 teams in the country. From a Long Island perspective, LI Express would be in this group. There are ~ 7 girls for each team in this group that end up getting recruited to play D1.

Tier 4 Teams: These are the Top 61-100 teams in the country. From a Long Island perspective, I have not included YJ Team 3, 91, fl$, Beach Bums, etc in this group although I'm sure some could argue they belong in this group. There are ~ 4 girls for each team in this group that end up getting recruited to play D1.

So in summary, the distribution of recruits to D1 is:

Tier 1 Teams (~ 22 girls/team)- 220 recruits
Tier 2 Teams (~ 15 girls/team)- 450 recruits
Tier 3 Teams (~ 7 girls/team)- 140 recruits
Tier 4 Teams (~ 4 girls/team)- 160 recruits
Other 30 recruits
Total recruits -1,000 recruits

From a Long Island perspective, there were 125 D1 recruits from the graduating 2014 high school class split between ~ 45 girls from Tier 1 (e.g. YJ Blue and Top Guns Black), ~ 60 girls from Tier 2 (e.g. YJ Gold, Top Guns Purple, Elevate and Liberty), ~ 10 from Tier 3, and ~ 10 from other programs.

In terms of the distribution of which D1 programs these recruits go to, it is roughly as follows ("Top Program" defined by Laxpower 2014 Computer Ranking):

Tier 1 (Top 5 teams):
Top 30 D1 Program- 75%
Top 31-60 D1 Program- 15%
Top 61-107 D1 Program- 10%

Tier 1 Top 6-10 & Tier 2 Programs:
Top 30 D1 Program - 25%
Top 31-60 D1 Program - 30%
Top 61-107 D1 Prog. - 20%
Not Playing D1 - 25%

SO IN SUMMARY, My TAKE IS:
1. The vast majority of girls playing on a Tier 1 team are elite lacrosse players capable of playing at the highest level in college.
2. The majority of girls playing on a Tier 2 team are very strong lacrosse players capable of playing D1 lacrosse. The top quarter of girls on these teams can play on the highest level college programs, although many of these girls end up playing on "mid-tier" D1 programs (by the way, there are numerous outstanding academic schools in this "mid-tier" category).
3. Approximately 1/3 of girls on Tier 3 teams will end up playing D1 lacrosse. Many of the remaining girls are very good players and end up playing D2 or D3 in college.
4. The vast majority of Tier 4 players have opportunities at D2 and D3 programs although there are some who end up playing D1.

As I have posted in the past just over 50% of athletes do not finish the four years at the D1 level. The biggest reason is workload/practice time. What percentage of athletes are matched to the wrong program?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ loves Graz!! Don't listen to the haters they are just jealous

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

As I have posted in the past just over 50% of athletes do not finish the four years at the D1 level. The biggest reason is workload/practice time. What percentage of athletes are matched to the wrong program?[/quote]

If your target schools are on your list because of only lacrosse you are setting yourself up for failure. If you are a C+ student who can get into Georgetown because of lacrosse and study pre-law you or Hopkins with medicine or wherever for engineering you will be toast. with top D1 programs lacrosse is a fulltime job with most every poll saying athletes spend more time on their sports than their studies!

Pick a school that even if you quit or get injured you still want to be at the school and can pass to get your degree.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ loves Graz!! Don't listen to the haters they are just jealous

Happy to chime in and give Graz a thumbs up.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Can somebody please explain how this double-rostering works.

You pay two club fees, attend double practices, double winter leagues, double cliinics/camps?

How would one choose when/if both your teams attend the same tournaments?

Anyone care to riff on the pros/cons of this double rostering? Why would a family choose to do this?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020 teams seem to be much better balanced, especially with some of the girls moving on to TG. The parents were pains in the neck, and unfortunately their daughter's started blaming their lack of athleticism on not knowing the right people. Hopefully they will find what they are looking for on TG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2020 teams seem to be much better balanced, especially with some of the girls moving on to TG. The parents were pains in the neck, and unfortunately their daughter's started blaming their lack of athleticism on not knowing the right people. Hopefully they will find what they are looking for on TG.

What are you talking about?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No dog in this one but seems to me like you just want to get in a parting shot. With the rosters just released how in the world would you know if the teams are more balanced?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or Legacy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only one kid left YJ and made TG black

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]2020 teams seem to be much better balanced, especially with some of the girls moving on to TG. The parents were pains in the neck, and unfortunately their daughter's started blaming their lack of athleticism on not knowing the right people. Hopefully they will find what they are looking for on TG.

Only one kid left YJ and made TG black [/quote
]

So says proud papa.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

Yes, good coaching involves both quality practices and high reps; however, the ability to motivate a good player to be a player is just as important. The ability to handle egos and make them buy into the team concept (in the case of Rose's team) is equally important. Graz has some of the best talent on LI (maybe the east coast) but doesn't motivate the team to get better. Yells all game, and leans on previous skill instead of deeper development. He plays in B and C divisions in tournaments and still doesn't win.

Totally disagree. Graz is very dedicated (has the team in numerous year-round leagues, practices, etc), focused on making the girls better players and does not "yell all game". Also regarding "B/C divisions in tournaments and still didn't win", that is also not true. His team last summer only lost 4-5 games all summer long and two of those losses were to the Blue team and one was to M&D Black. The only bad loss was to TG Purple when their goalie played spectacular.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rosters are up

Rose
Graz
Jones
Mills

The East Coast? Are you crazy? Its the clubs B-team, And it sounds like you are on your way down to C. Dont blame the coach
#dilusional parent

Like Reply Quote
Page 198 of 327 1 2 196 197 198 199 200 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard