BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,716
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21
Re: National Premier Youth Lacrosse League - Spring 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am well aware that the tournament that Madlax won was a joke, But if I renamed it you would not know what tournament I was talking about. Correct ? I think the best part of this tournament is we on the east coast can rest easy for a couple more years that we are still playing better Lacrosse here on the East coast. I also wanted to point out that Madlax had a U13 only team play this last weekend and then put together a 2019 team the other weekend at Young Guns they came in 2nd. So the people crying about the reclass problem, there clubs just needs to move the kids around from team to team to even them out for the tournament they are about to play.

Until next year - 2019 just completed 7th grade - many of the 2019s you refer to will become 2020s after completing their 1st year of 8th grade when they reclassify in September of 2015. It is the U-14/U-15 age that is the problem - 2nd tie around 8th graders at maryland prep schools

The lacrosse people in Maryland should get a prominent lax guy who graduated from Hopkins or U of M to run for governor. Then he can pass a law that kids can't start kindergarten until they are 6 years old instead of 5. This way you don't have to tell your middle school children who are doing well in school, but aren't lacrosse stars in their grade that they are going to repeat 7th or 8th grade so that they might get a partial scholarship for lacrosse in a few years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If there is no money or free rides out there then why is everyone so mad about "cheating"?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am well aware that the tournament that Madlax won was a joke, But if I renamed it you would not know what tournament I was talking about. Correct ? I think the best part of this tournament is we on the east coast can rest easy for a couple more years that we are still playing better Lacrosse here on the East coast. I also wanted to point out that Madlax had a U13 only team play this last weekend and then put together a 2019 team the other weekend at Young Guns they came in 2nd. So the people crying about the reclass problem, there clubs just needs to move the kids around from team to team to even them out for the tournament they are about to play.

Until next year - 2019 just completed 7th grade - many of the 2019s you refer to will become 2020s after completing their 1st year of 8th grade when they reclassify in September of 2015. It is the U-14/U-15 age that is the problem - 2nd tie around 8th graders at maryland prep schools

The lacrosse people in Maryland should get a prominent lax guy who graduated from Hopkins or U of M to run for governor. Then he can pass a law that kids can't start kindergarten until they are 6 years old instead of 5. This way you don't have to tell your middle school children who are doing well in school, but aren't lacrosse stars in their grade that they are going to repeat 7th or 8th grade so that they might get a partial scholarship for lacrosse in a few years.

Don't the kids get made fun of for being left back, even if others know they are doing it for lax? I would think the lax players that stayed on age, would laugh those kids out of the water- or is it that prominent- that sooo many kids do it? I also cannot fathom telling my kid who works his butt off in school for excellent grades; he needs to add another year to his schooling before college. Maybe some towns/schools are just more sports oriented and not academic oriented? The only kids I know that have ever been left back for a sport did so in HS and repeated 12th grade at a prep school. This seems more reputable, as you know the college wants you, but you need to prove yourself for one more year, as opposed to gambling whether or not your kid gets noticed playing with younger kids. I am wondering how many kids end up not doing as well as they hoped and if they could do it again would they- or is the success rate that high that only a small fraction fail to get into a better school. This is really a whole different culture and way of thinking. I still say go for academics, but best of luck to you all. And the questions asked were not to be obnoxious, really I am rather interested in the answers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
because the LI dads have to make themselves feel better by claiming the MD teams are cheating to win.

They also complain about the bad officiating, weather conditions, phase of the moon, etc.

Any excuse besides their kids aren't good

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If there is no money or free rides out there then why is everyone so mad about "cheating"?

You just won the award for dumbest post of all time...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
because the LI dads have to make themselves feel better by claiming the MD teams are cheating to win.

They also complain about the bad officiating, weather conditions, phase of the moon, etc.

I couldn't care less about officiating, weather, etc. The holdback situation in MD is really pathetic. I would be embarrassed to watch my kid play against younger kids and then act like they're great. The simple way to do youth sports up until they reach high school is to do it based on age. Each team should have to play in the age group based on the oldest kid on their team. To throw out an early 2001 kid on the field against teams made up of predominantly 2002 kids is pathetic, yet it happens all the time (pick whatever age group you want). It likely won't be fixed until some kid gets seriously injured and the tournaments realize the waiver forms won't hold up in a law suit. Size and speed are the real issues with playing down, put a kid out there who is small and he can be managed, but playing a kid who is bigger, faster, stronger with average stick skills, only because he's a year older, is lame.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are an idiot. Almost all youth tournaments are age based.

It is amazing that you guys focus 100% of your lives on this non-issue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are an idiot. Almost all youth tournaments are age based.

It is amazing that you guys focus 100% of your lives on this non-issue.

what post is this in response to? use the "quote" button so people know next time...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your as stupid as you are arrogant

It is seemingly a rule in Long Island that "your" and "you're" are the same word. Are you guys really that stupid?

Eat what you kill, unless daddy left you some $. Good luck to you and "your" left back child. Can tell you one thing for sure, hope your kids aren't headed to wall street, the firms now understand your game and will be passing on internships for left back kids no matter where they went to school.

good luck working at under armour...

This is pure nonsense. If a kid graduates from a top school with good grades nobody is going to care if he was held back, skipped a grade, or played for Crush.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When was the last time a team "only" from MD won the U-15 Championship??? UHHHH never, FCA won it with LI kids on the team, sorry, try again. That ol birth certificate rule always seems to get in the way with you guys.... Too funny.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MIAA Rules require that a player be U-19 eligible during the academic year they are playing. This implies that a 2x holdback will not be able to participate in school sports his senior year. Are there really examples of Kindergarten red-shirts who also reclassify in 8th grade? These players would not be U-15 eligible during their 2nd 8th grade year.

I assume most athletic assocations have similar age rules. Perhaps players do not care if they play for their HS as a senior???
2. Age Limitations
A student who has attained his/her 19th birthday before August 31 of a given academic year is not eligible to participate.

A student who has attained his/her 19th birthday on or after August 31st of a given academic year may participate only on the Varsity level.

I am not sure I like the reclassify term. I think of it as taking a Middle School Post Grad year before starting HS.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is a boy who was top of his class in 8th grade, among the tops in 9th grade, left after the school year to repeat 9th grade (at BL), you are going to tell me that is for the benefit of his education (and oh yeah, he's a Crab as well)...2 more left private school after 9th to repeat at...drum roll please...BL...and both will be Crabs next year. Nice work BL, nice work Crabs, both embarrassing examples of what this sport has become.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its called Sarcism!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When was the last time a team "only" from MD won the U-15 Championship??? UHHHH never, FCA won it with LI kids on the team, sorry, try again. That ol birth certificate rule always seems to get in the way with you guys.... Too funny.

What is "The" U15 Championship?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its called Sarcism!

What is "sarcism?"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MIAA Rules require that a player be U-19 eligible during the academic year they are playing. This implies that a 2x holdback will not be able to participate in school sports his senior year. Are there really examples of Kindergarten red-shirts who also reclassify in 8th grade? These players would not be U-15 eligible during their 2nd 8th grade year.

I assume most athletic assocations have similar age rules. Perhaps players do not care if they play for their HS as a senior???
2. Age Limitations
A student who has attained his/her 19th birthday before August 31 of a given academic year is not eligible to participate.

A student who has attained his/her 19th birthday on or after August 31st of a given academic year may participate only on the Varsity level.

I am not sure I like the reclassify term. I think of it as taking a Middle School Post Grad year before starting HS.

There are 2 Crabs that fall under this category (that I know of), 1 '17 and 1 '18 (recently "reclassified")

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is a boy who was top of his class in 8th grade, among the tops in 9th grade, left after the school year to repeat 9th grade (at BL), you are going to tell me that is for the benefit of his education (and oh yeah, he's a Crab as well)...2 more left private school after 9th to repeat at...drum roll please...BL...and both will be Crabs next year. Nice work BL, nice work Crabs, both embarrassing examples of what this sport has become.

That is a total of 3 boys out of how many playing lacrosse in Baltimore? Unless you have hard proof of this happening in other programs, don't paint the rest of Baltimore with that brush.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the poster was clear that the Crabs were the main perpetrator

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is so much BS on this thread. 50% of the posts are from FCA dads who are upset that they don't get invited to Crabs tournaments, so they make up all these lies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
good luck with that...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
After watching the World Games tonight, I think the U.S. should level the playing field and stop using holdbacks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is so much BS on this thread. 50% of the posts are from FCA dads who are upset that they don't get invited to Crabs tournaments, so they make up all these lies.

Crab Dad took off his son's Crab gloves and put down his beer to type something, and of course it is attacking FCA. Did you learn to type in your 3rd round of 8th grade at BL as well?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Crab Dad took off his son's Crab gloves and put down his beer to type something, and of course it is attacking FCA. Did you learn to type in your 3rd round of 8th grade at BL as well?

You need some new material.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From Long Island, never played FCA, have played Crabs...I do find it a disgrace that the Crab organization encourages boys to stay back. Is that part of their recruiting strategy. I get the notion that at college the age difference doesn't matter, but sadly, parents are buying into the notion it is better for their kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, I really don’t think this problem is as prevalent as some posters have expressed. If you look at the rosters (including birthdays) of some of these “elite” teams, I think most readers would be shocked at how many of those big and fast dudes are actually age and grade appropriate. 1) Some kids are going to be huge PERIOD. 2) Some kids mature earlier and faster than others, and 3) some kids are just soo freakin’ good, it’s hard to believe they aren't “cheating”.

That said, some do hold back. For every kid that holds back for athletic advantage in Middle School, there is likely a more talented but less developed kid who is grade appropriate and was left off of the roster. What’s interesting about this problem is that the advantage created by holding kids back is only temporary. At some point Johnny catches up to Billy, and the advantage isn't there any more. Big deal. Right?

WRONG… the temporary advantage occurs at a very pivotal time for the kids. This is when high school club teams are solidifying their rosters for the next four years. Even the most mercenary of club program directors would like as little turnover as possible after the U15 season. They want to focus on getting their athletes recruited, building their brand, and keeping the machine running.

The temporary advantage also occurs precisely when NCAA coaches who get paid to “pick winners” are out trying to identify the next group of middle school athletes who will keep them gainfully employed for the next few years. Bottom line -- the coaches are at risk. Older kids are bigger, stronger, and faster than younger kids… temporarily. Bigger, stronger, faster kids present less risk … specifically during recruiting evaluations.

The temporary advantage issue is here to stay. The “self-preservation engines” are now running hard. Too many people in youth lacrosse have too much to lose at this point - the kids, the club program directors, and the NCAA coaches. There won’t be any grassroots momentum reversals as long as there are such obvious tangible benefits to stakeholders PERIOD. The only two entities which have the ability to reverse this trend (by setting rigid single-year, age-based divisions) are the tournament and league directors, but why would they!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FCA is just as guilty! As is Club Blue, Hawks, MadLax and VLC. It is a privilege and a right apparently among most of the private school kids in the Baltimore and DC area.
From Long Island, never played FCA, have played Crabs...I do find it a disgrace that the Crab organization encourages boys to stay back. Is that part of their recruiting strategy. I get the notion that at college the age difference doesn't matter, but sadly, parents are buying into the notion it is better for their kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone explain the animosity between the Crabs and the FCA? It seems both clubs can coexist in an area flush with talented lacrosse players

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, I really don’t think this problem is as prevalent as some posters have expressed. If you look at the rosters (including birthdays) of some of these “elite” teams, I think most readers would be shocked at how many of those big and fast dudes are actually age and grade appropriate. 1) Some kids are going to be huge PERIOD. 2) Some kids mature earlier and faster than others, and 3) some kids are just soo freakin’ good, it’s hard to believe they aren't “cheating”.

That said, some do hold back. For every kid that holds back for athletic advantage in Middle School, there is likely a more talented but less developed kid who is grade appropriate and was left off of the roster. What’s interesting about this problem is that the advantage created by holding kids back is only temporary. At some point Johnny catches up to Billy, and the advantage isn't there any more. Big deal. Right?

WRONG… the temporary advantage occurs at a very pivotal time for the kids. This is when high school club teams are solidifying their rosters for the next four years. Even the most mercenary of club program directors would like as little turnover as possible after the U15 season. They want to focus on getting their athletes recruited, building their brand, and keeping the machine running.

The temporary advantage also occurs precisely when NCAA coaches who get paid to “pick winners” are out trying to identify the next group of middle school athletes who will keep them gainfully employed for the next few years. Bottom line -- the coaches are at risk. Older kids are bigger, stronger, and faster than younger kids… temporarily. Bigger, stronger, faster kids present less risk … specifically during recruiting evaluations.

The temporary advantage issue is here to stay. The “self-preservation engines” are now running hard. Too many people in youth lacrosse have too much to lose at this point - the kids, the club program directors, and the NCAA coaches. There won’t be any grassroots momentum reversals as long as there are such obvious tangible benefits to stakeholders PERIOD. The only two entities which have the ability to reverse this trend (by setting rigid single-year, age-based divisions) are the tournament and league directors, but why would they!

Well said. Here is a good article on the topic focused on DC and Md:

http://deadspin.com/why-rich-lacrosse-parents-are-making-their-kids-repeat-1570381983

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs threatened by FCA encroaching upon their domain as typically having the best teams in Maryland. FCA upset that Crabs will not allow FCA to play in their very high caliber tournaments (Crab Feast & Young Guns)or schedule regular games / scrimmages. There is enough talent in the area for both to thrive and enjoy a healthy rivalry. Crabs well established and FCA in 2nd year of local existence.
Can someone explain the animosity between the Crabs and the FCA? It seems both clubs can coexist in an area flush with talented lacrosse players

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct except that the Crabs are not threatened at all by FCA.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Human Head Discovered In Hempstead Yard
Pair of Arms Also Found In Same Residential Area Of Long Island Last Week.....and these bozo's are worried about re-classification?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Human Head Discovered In Hempstead Yard
Pair of Arms Also Found In Same Residential Area Of Long Island Last Week.....and these bozo's are worried about re-classification?

That's right, Baltimore is crime free. It's the armpit of the east coast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is Calvert Hall against Boy's Latin

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Held my boy back in 5th grade after trying home schooling with mixed results. Has given him some time to mature vs others kids who have mustaches at age 12.

It has helped him in athletics and academics.
What's the big deal?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No it's not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Held my boy back in 5th grade after trying home schooling with mixed results. Has given him some time to mature vs others kids who have mustaches at age 12.

What's the big deal?

I home schooled my boy for 7 years and now he is back in 5th grade with mixed results. He is going to kick [lacrosse] at the 2020 tournaments this Fall, and it is a huge plus that he can drive himself to tournaments.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do Breakers avoid all this local vitriol? Are they just really nice people or just so bad at lacrosse that FCA and Crabs would rather beat up on each other?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No it's not.

Is too

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What's the big deal?

The difference is, your boy had mixed results with homeschooling and had you continued on within the same grade, he would have had gaps and would have suffered academically. He gained maturity, the gift of time and athletic advantage because of the homeschool mishap. This is different than holding your kid back just for athletic advantage, which many parents are doing. Terrible message to teach your kid IMHO- academics should always come first, not athletics. If your kid struggles academically, then maybe you have no other avenue, but certainly for the avg to above avg student, it is not a good move academically, if not needed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How do Breakers avoid all this local vitriol? Are they just really nice people or just so bad at lacrosse that FCA and Crabs would rather beat up on each other?

Because the Breakers are a non-factor overall.

Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard