BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous. 09/17/19 06:39 AM
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous. 09/16/19 10:47 PM
Boys 2025-7th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/16/19 09:49 PM
Boys 2024 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous. 09/16/19 09:28 PM
Girls 2025-7th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/16/19 04:28 PM
Boys 2028-4th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/16/19 02:22 PM
Girls 2023-9th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
by Anonymous. 09/16/19 12:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics1,760
Posts254,871
Members2,133
Most Online6,425
Sep 8th, 2019
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 838 1 2 3 4 5 837 838
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #289
01/06/11 11:55 PM
01/06/11 11:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



What does placing a kid on a D3 team mean? I was under the impression that D3 did not offer scholarships.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #291
01/07/11 04:20 PM
01/07/11 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



it's not just about scholarships. You may just get into a school that you otherwise would not have because of lax.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #295
01/11/11 02:58 PM
01/11/11 02:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
it's not just about scholarships. You may just get into a school that you otherwise would not have because of lax.
When you look at the distribution, how many NCAA Division I spots are won and how many are with scholarships? If the Yellow Jackets are placing 80-90% of their players, this is really positive, but isn't that what most of the other clubs are doing?

When you come right down to it, what is the difference between placements? It either has to be money based or school based.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #351
01/23/11 09:48 AM
01/23/11 09:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



First 2012 signings are listed. Congrats to all!

Blue: Michaela Aymong (Northport) Richmond
Blue: 2013 Maggie Bill (St Anthonys) UNC
Blue: Alexandra Bruno (Garden City) Princeton
Blue: Nicole Dangellis (Smithtown East) Yale
East: Dene Demartino (Eastport) Hopkins
Blue: Christina Esposito (West Babylon) Northwestern
Green/Gold: Emily Lucas (Island Trees) Monmouth
Blue/Gold: Megan McDonald (Garden City) Georgetown
Blue: Darcy Messina (St Anthonys) Florida
Blue: Taylor Rantfle (Hauppauge) UVA
Blue/Gold: Kelly Anne Sherlock (Cold Spring) Yale
Gold: Jenna Vinci (Hauppauge) Binghampton

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #434
02/18/11 09:39 PM
02/18/11 09:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
First 2012 signings are listed. Congrats to all!

Blue: Michaela Aymong (Northport) Richmond
Blue: 2013 Maggie Bill (St Anthonys) UNC
Blue: Alexandra Bruno (Garden City) Princeton
Blue: Nicole Dangellis (Smithtown East) Yale
East: Dene Demartino (Eastport) Hopkins
Blue: Christina Esposito (West Babylon) Northwestern
Green/Gold: Emily Lucas (Island Trees) Monmouth
Blue/Gold: Megan McDonald (Garden City) Georgetown
Blue: Darcy Messina (St Anthonys) Florida
Blue: Taylor Rantfle (Hauppauge) UVA
Blue/Gold: Kelly Anne Sherlock (Cold Spring) Yale
Gold: Jenna Vinci (Hauppauge) Binghampton


wouldn't that be verbal commitments and not signings?

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #436
02/18/11 10:37 PM
02/18/11 10:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,609
C
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
*
C

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,609
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
First 2012 signings are listed. Congrats to all!

Blue: Michaela Aymong (Northport) Richmond
Blue: 2013 Maggie Bill (St Anthonys) UNC
Blue: Alexandra Bruno (Garden City) Princeton
Blue: Nicole Dangellis (Smithtown East) Yale
East: Dene Demartino (Eastport) Hopkins
Blue: Christina Esposito (West Babylon) Northwestern
Green/Gold: Emily Lucas (Island Trees) Monmouth
Blue/Gold: Megan McDonald (Garden City) Georgetown
Blue: Darcy Messina (St Anthonys) Florida
Blue: Taylor Rantfle (Hauppauge) UVA
Blue/Gold: Kelly Anne Sherlock (Cold Spring) Yale
Gold: Jenna Vinci (Hauppauge) Binghampton


wouldn't that be verbal commitments and not signings?
Yes, these would have to be verbals at this point (along with some financial discussions). Signing days will not happen until senior year.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: CageSage] #451
02/25/11 03:09 PM
02/25/11 03:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by CageSage
Yes, these would have to be verbals at this point (along with some financial discussions). Signing days will not happen until senior year.
The question is actually very simple. With all the money collected by the Yellow Jackets and Carol Rose's crew, was the end result (and scholarship money) actually worth it? When you are spending upwards of $2000 for just the summer, not to mention the rest of the year, is a $10,000 scholarship really worth the chase? Probably not.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #452
02/27/11 01:00 AM
02/27/11 01:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



where do you get the $10,000 figure from? I know someone who just got well over $100,000 for the four years who plays for Carol and crew. That math works. Never mind the head start in the admissions process which benefits probably averages more than 7 figures over these young ladies working career.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #453
02/27/11 09:21 AM
02/27/11 09:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Long Island has many good clubs. They understand that their role is the development and placement, including money, of their players. Most of them do a great job.

Getting into great schools is very difficult without it. I only know of only one high school where the coach helps regardless of club affiliation.

So go ahead and save your $2,000 and take your chances.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #456
02/27/11 03:00 PM
02/27/11 03:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
where do you get the $10,000 figure from? I know someone who just got well over $100,000 for the four years who plays for Carol and crew. That math works. Never mind the head start in the admissions process which benefits probably averages more than 7 figures over these young ladies working career.
Well, $10,000 would be a 1/4 scholarship for one year - a reasonable first year award for a lacrosse player, male or female. Since each scholarship is an annual contract, how could any player have a guaranteed four year deal for $100,000? Your statement makes no sense since each athletic contract is renewed each season. Your child could be promised that money, but that promise is only as good as this year's contract.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #457
02/27/11 03:02 PM
02/27/11 03:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Anonymous
Long Island has many good clubs. They understand that their role is the development and placement, including money, of their players. Most of them do a great job.

Getting into great schools is very difficult without it. I only know of only one high school where the coach helps regardless of club affiliation.

So go ahead and save your $2,000 and take your chances.
High School Lacrosse provides a better chance to be seen than High School Soccer or Basketball, particularly on Long Island, but the real recruitment still happens via these Lacrosse Clubs on Long Island. The annual fee is the cost of admission.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #458
02/28/11 08:23 AM
02/28/11 08:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



So what you're saying is that all freshman are the same and get the same offer. Or, if they don't, their CONTRACT is renegotiated every year. If you are a top tier recruit, why would you agree to that? The fact is coaches tell the blue chippers that scholarships are not rescinded or reduced for lacrosse or even injury reasons, only disciplinary or academic reasons. If it s not a full offer, they tell them that they can only increase based on performance.

If the school does not honor that agreement, their word is diminished in a very small world. They will have difficulty making the next recruit who has many options to believe what they say is true. The top programs know that is a death sentence.

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #459
02/28/11 08:49 AM
02/28/11 08:49 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,609
C
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
*
C

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,609
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So what you're saying is that all freshman are the same and get the same offer.
NCAA Rules and Regulations restrict the total number of Division I Lacrosse scholarships to 12.6 per men's team and 12.0 per women's team; it is the university's decision as to whether these programs are to be full funded to those levels. Given that most teams have more than 25 players, it is safe to say that the average award is a 0.5 scholarship or less. Since upper classmen will receive more than underclassmen, a freshman scholarship between 0.25 an 0.5 is a reasonable assumption.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Or, if they don't, their CONTRACT is renegotiated every year.
Yes, each year the contract is renewed and dollar amounts can and will be adjusted up and down. If a player is not playing as the coach expected or if additional money is needed elsewhere in the program (to recruit a potential top freshman, transfer, or goalie), the coach can and will cut awards "for the benefit of the team".

Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you are a top tier recruit, why would you agree to that?
Why would you agree? Because such things happen AFTER you are already in the program with at least one year invested in the school and lacrosse team.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
The fact is coaches tell the blue chippers that scholarships are not rescinded or reduced for lacrosse or even injury reasons, only disciplinary or academic reasons. If it s not a full offer, they tell them that they can only increase based on performance.
That is the message you hear ENTERING a program. Many programs will follow this methodology, but not all.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
If the school does not honor that agreement, their word is diminished in a very small world. They will have difficulty making the next recruit who has many options to believe what they say is true. The top programs know that is a death sentence.
Key point is that how do incoming recruits find out about a deal "reneg"? How does that information get disseminated? There are very few forums like Back of the Cage where such cuts would gain visibility. Do you think a player who just had his/her award cut is going to stand up and say, "Hey World, look at me, my coach just took back money?"

Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: CageSage] #460
02/28/11 12:14 PM
02/28/11 12:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A



You sound like you're coming from the front line and your experience is very valuable. Are you? Can you share your background with us?

If what you say is true, it would seem at least ethical that the coach be very clear that the scholarship offer had performance risk and was contingent and adjusted annually based on the coach's annual comparsion against her teammates. How does a family budget for that?

What if the kid wanted to pursue an academic or music scholarship at an Ivy League school instead, but made her school decision based on the perception of a strong sports offer? That lack of disclosure could be damaging.


Reply Quote
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse [Re: Anonymous] #461
02/28/11 03:38 PM
02/28/11 03:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,609
C
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
*
C

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,609
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You sound like you're coming from the front line and your experience is very valuable. Are you? Can you share your background with us?
With many years of experience on the athletic college recruitment scene in both soccer and lacrosse, the experiences that we share here on BOTC are based on real-life student-athlete placements. Personally, I have been involved in the placement of more than 40 student-athletes for Varsity Collegiate Sports. Note that we cover many of these topics on the BOTC Lacrosse College Recruitment Forum. We have also been hosting a similar dialogue for the last three years on our sister site, Back of the Net, dealing with Soccer College Recruitment.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
If what you say is true, it would seem at least ethical that the coach be very clear that the scholarship offer had performance risk and was contingent and adjusted annually based on the coach's annual comparsion against her teammates. How does a family budget for that?
Guarding against the risk of a decreased athletic stipend is a very difficult proposition. Often with an academic scholarship, the student can tell based on grading trends that an award is at risk. Similar with a grant that might come from a financially challenged source.

In the athletic space, keeping good communication with the coach is critical. Each student-athlete should be having a sit-down with their college coach at the close of each season to understand the upcoming year's financial package along with any augmentation (or decreases) in funding. This provides some period (May through August) wherein the family can craft a plan to cover any financial shortfalls. Remember this is the exception more than the rule.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
What if the kid wanted to pursue an academic or music scholarship at an Ivy League school instead, but made her school decision based on the perception of a strong sports offer? That lack of disclosure could be damaging.
First rule : Ivy League schools do not provide merit awards. Second rule : Ivy League schools do not provide music scholarships at an undergraduate level for an entering student.

Now, with those misconceptions swept aside, let's come to the issue at hand. Ultimately, the student-athlete will be making the choice as to whether Varsity Collegiate Sports will be part of their four year experience or not. That question usually is answered first by the student-athlete before the money question is addressed. BOTC Industries strongly recommends that student-athletes look at their college prospects from a financial and academic perspective first and foremost. A sports injury could completely change your ability to participate in athletic competition, but academic success is a primary reason that you are at a University to start.

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 838 1 2 3 4 5 837 838
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification





Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1