BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,788
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 131 of 327 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse put out an interesting article about parent ego and playing on a b team. I attached the link below.

B Team Mom

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The show should have been called ‘American Psycho Daddies’. That poor football kid doesn’t even talk to his father anymore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
The topic of 1 specific player, is disgraceful. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Although, a name has not been mentioned we all know who you are talking about. In the end, remember they are all still just children!!
The topic ends here. All subsequent posts on this subject will be deleted.

Next topic please.
There was an interesting program on HBO last night that talked about parents and sports. STATE IF PLAY...TROPHY KIDS. Some of you should watch this.

Bill O'reilly has a show on Fox called the NO SPIN ZONE. Its about trying to stick to a certain topic without spinning off into some emotional fact less twighlight zone of a conversation. Some of you should watch this too.
I think its time for your meds.

Typical. That's not nice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was a very powerful documentary last night...at times I just wanted to reach thru the screen and smack one of those parents, especially the father of the football player. I am sure these people are the extreme but this seems to me to be a rampant problem in youth sports. When I read some of the posts on the BOC forum you can see this attitude is not going away...
There was a father who actually quit his job in order to dedicate himself to his son's pursuit of a Division I Scholarship.

Just pause for a moment and reflect on the economic realities of this. Imagine the implications of actually getting that scholarship - or none at all.

This HBO Sports production at times seemed staged, but producer Peter Berg insists that is not the case - everything you are seeing in the documentary is absolute truth.

I haven't seen this program, but I am looking forward to watching it. In regards to the father quitting to help his son receive a division 1 scholarship, did he quit/retire because he could by being either financially secure or had a pension (i.e. firefighter/police often can retire after 20 years with pension). If that father fell into this category, I can understand this situation. Most of us would love to not work and dedicate more time to and with our families. I know I would do it in a heartbeat, maybe not for the sole purpose of helping my child attain a scholarship, but I would do it to spend more time with my kids and I am sure a large portion of that time would be helping them pursue their passions because that's what the kids want to spend their time doing.

I know a few police officers and firefighters who retired because of family considerations, including spending time more involved with athletics. Given that situation, one could understand a parent who doesn't have to work helping their child be as successful as possible.

Being on Long Island with a large number of police and firefighters living here, I would think this is a fairly common occurrence.

On the flip side if it puts a financial strain on the family then that would be a slightly different story. But their are also "traditional" (circa 1960's definition of traditional) or stay at home moms who's families make the decision that a mom wont enter the work force in order to spend time with the children and facilitate their education and development. How would this be different than a father staying home to facilitate an older child's development and education?

Just a few ways of looking at this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The topic of 1 specific player, is disgraceful. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Although, a name has not been mentioned we all know who you are talking about. In the end, remember they are all still just children!!
The topic ends here. All subsequent posts on this subject will be deleted.

Next topic please.
There was an interesting program on HBO last night that talked about parents and sports. STATE IF PLAY...TROPHY KIDS. Some of you should watch this.

Bill O'reilly has a show on Fox called the NO SPIN ZONE. Its about trying to stick to a certain topic without spinning off into some emotional fact less twighlight zone of a conversation. Some of you should watch this too.

Why would anybody watch Bill O'Reilly? Actually, considering the YJ teaches their girls thug tactics, it makes sense that you guys are fans of that idiot.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse put out an interesting article about parent ego and playing on a b team. I attached the link below.

B Team Mom

Excellent article!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It looks like the TG tournament is on the same weekend as YJ this summer. So much for seeing the teams attending both.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
It looks like the TG tournament is on the same weekend as YJ this summer. So much for seeing the teams attending both.
Additionally, the K&J Athletics Girls Recruiting Showcase will be taking place on the Friday before both weekend events. From a business perspective, this makes a huge amount of sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Topgun tournament 3 days. Much bigger than
yellowjacket tourney

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yj 2016 goalis got lit up at 2015 us nats

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow , you must be an absolute [lacrosse] to feel the need to post that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ = Thug ball

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College Coaches Love those thugs!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People....are you kidding. Grow up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

B Team Mom

Excellent article!

Yes, good article. The kids know what their level of play is and want to just play and compete. Good training is the key!

Parents on the other hand do not know and think they know. There lies the problem.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ = Thug ball

BY thug ball do you mean physical play? If so Long Island Lax tends to lean towards the physical side of the game for both girls and boys. The Maryland brand tends to be a little more finesse with less contact. That being said, my daughter is both a soccer player and Lax player. In both sports she plays physical but within the rules (soccer is much more physical than lax).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ goalie is undefeated against TG , although I suspect so are half the goalies out there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

YJ goalie is undefeated against TG , although I suspect so are half the goalies out there

Mature

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yellowjacket tourney

Don't believe that for a minute. Last year tourney
Was a waste at Hofstra. YJ already has over 50 teams
Coming

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
yellowjacket tourney

Coming
This post indicates that you have experience with both the Lacrosse Classic and the Elite Showcase from last season. BOTC most certainly does; so, let's go to the scorecards on the two events.

The Elite Showcase registered 65 participating teams in a one-day tournament. From that group, 31 teams were directly from the Yellow Jackets while another 6 were from the Connecticut Chargers. That leaves only 28 outside teams that registered.

The Lacrosse Classic registered 55 participating teams in their three day event. From that set, 15 teams were part of the Top Guns organization. This implies that 40 teams registered for the Classic outside of the Top Guns organization.

The numbers tell us that the Lacrosse Classic had more outside teams, put together a three-day event as opposed to a one-day tournament, and outdrew an established event in their first year of operation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yellowjacket tourney

Coming
This post indicates that you have experience with both the Lacrosse Classic and the Elite Showcase from last season. BOTC most certainly does; so, let's go to the scorecards on the two events.

The Elite Showcase registered 65 participating teams in a one-day tournament. From that group, 31 teams were directly from the Yellow Jackets while another 6 were from the Connecticut Chargers. That leaves only 28 outside teams that registered.

The Lacrosse Classic registered 55 participating teams in their three day event. From that set, 15 teams were part of the Top Guns organization. This implies that 40 teams registered for the Classic outside of the Top Guns organization.

The numbers tell us that the Lacrosse Classic had more outside teams, put together a three-day event as opposed to a one-day tournament, and outdrew an established event in their first year of operation.

Waiting for the YJ spin doctors to fix this perspective.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Topgun tournament 3 days. Much bigger than
yellowjacket tourney

Coming

Waiting for the YJ spin doctors to fix this

Cage is a homer , how many college coaches attended each event.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Cage is a homer, how many college coaches attended each event.
BOTC does not know how many coaches attended the Yellow Jackets event. The only way to know for sure would be to count the number of reimbursement checks that are used to compensate the coaches to attend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BOTC does not know how many coaches attended the Yellow Jackets event. The only way to know for sure would be to count the number of reimbursement checks that are used to compensate the coaches to attend.

I agree in the case of TG tournament it was just 1 check made out to Bill Smith , very easy to count .Your Homer status is still intact.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you saying that some coaches are paid to attend some tournaments?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I agree in the case of TG tournament it was just 1 check made out to Bill Smith , very easy to count .Your Homer status is still intact.
While BOTC was at the Lacrosse Classic last summer, we personally met five college coaches who were getting prepared midday for the afternoon's older age group games. This was in the space of one hour at the check-in tent on the North Campus at Shuart Stadium.

While we appreciate that it might be in the business interests of some to disparage the Lacrosse Classic, the genie is already out of the bottle. Given the head-to-head competition on the tournament weekend this year, we will see coaches moving between events in order to see players rather than pledging loyalty to a single club. College coaches recruit players, not clubs - much to the chagrin of those in control.

In 2014, the end of July will present a great recruiting window for all of the region's girls.

One final thought : Never call the moderator names. If you cannot handle a fact-based discussion and intelligent discourse, simply do not engage with us. You will emerge looking uninformed to the community.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Are you saying that some coaches are paid to attend some tournaments?
Yes.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
BOTC opened on November 1st, 2010.

Since that time, we have had just shy of 10,000,000 (ten million) page views on the Yellow Jackets dicussion thread. This has worked out to an average of 8,800 page views per day over the course of the last three years.

This thread will cross the ten million view mark sometime in the next few days. BOTC thanks you for your readership and for making this our first ten million view discussion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You want discussions based in fact yet your statement is not factual. Not all college coaches get reimbursed as you state.My team got to travel to Hofstra , about an hour away, on Friday night to play 1 game , a three day tournament does not by itself make the tournent any better than a 1 day.Level of competition other than intra club is awful at both tournaments.Still think some neutral party should hold a tournament and hopefully all LI clubs would support.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I grew up on Long Island in a town that lived and breathed Lacrosse and I began playing at a very early age. I played year round, every chance I could. Fall ball “out east”, winters indoors with the PAL and Box Lacrosse in Nassau, summer camps upstate and Maryland, Empire Games (Go Long Island), weekend pickup games at the high school and the handball courts, which in my town never saw a game of handball because the LAX players commandeered them. The list goes on and on…
I toted my stick with me everywhere I went as if it was an extension of my hands. The walls of my bedroom were filled with lacrosse posters of the greats of my time and covering my door was, what other than, the infamous Air Gait image that cost most every attackman of my generation to be reprimanded by Coach, at least once, for attempting to replicate. Some of my greatest childhood memories and greatest friends were and are a direct result of my love for the sport.
So, where am I going with this you ask? Back then Lacrosse wasn’t just a sport it was a culture, much as it is today. But, I believe it was a different culture. I believe it was a community, an extended family of sorts. I loved the sport because I enjoyed the competition, win or lose. I valued the comradery I shared with other players and enthusiasts, regardless of what town they came from, team they played for, or what club they belonged to. Did we have rivals? Yes, of course we did. That is what makes the game exciting and what makes us strive to play better. The difference was that we respected the competition and when the game was over we genuinely shook hands and more times than not, shared a wall, a pickup game, or a summer camp within the weeks to come. Lacrosse was a community of ladies and gentleman. A community built on mutual respect and a shared passion for the game. It was a community I was proud to be a part of.
Now, years after I’ve hung up my college jersey, my children are into LAX with a passion much akin to mine. Although the game hasn’t changed, the community has and it is heartbreaking to see a something I once loved in the state it is in today. Name calling, finger pointing, club / team bashing, snide and underhanded remarks… AND about children and youth programs! For the adults who feel the need to post negative comments about groups of children should be ashamed of yourselves! You are destroying the community I once loved and I urge you to take the high road so our children can enjoy the game without the drama and love LAX for what it is.
As I am almost certain that someone will have something negative to say in response to my post, I will advise you in advance that I will not retort, as this will be the last time I visit BOTC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I grew up on Long Island in a town that lived and breathed Lacrosse and I began playing at a very early age. I played year round, every chance I could. Fall ball “out east”, winters indoors with the PAL and Box Lacrosse in Nassau, summer camps upstate and Maryland, Empire Games (Go Long Island), weekend pickup games at the high school and the handball courts, which in my town never saw a game of handball because the LAX players commandeered them. The list goes on and on…
I toted my stick with me everywhere I went as if it was an extension of my hands. The walls of my bedroom were filled with lacrosse posters of the greats of my time and covering my door was, what other than, the infamous Air Gait image that cost most every attackman of my generation to be reprimanded by Coach, at least once, for attempting to replicate. Some of my greatest childhood memories and greatest friends were and are a direct result of my love for the sport.
So, where am I going with this you ask? Back then Lacrosse wasn’t just a sport it was a culture, much as it is today. But, I believe it was a different culture. I believe it was a community, an extended family of sorts. I loved the sport because I enjoyed the competition, win or lose. I valued the comradery I shared with other players and enthusiasts, regardless of what town they came from, team they played for, or what club they belonged to. Did we have rivals? Yes, of course we did. That is what makes the game exciting and what makes us strive to play better. The difference was that we respected the competition and when the game was over we genuinely shook hands and more times than not, shared a wall, a pickup game, or a summer camp within the weeks to come. Lacrosse was a community of ladies and gentleman. A community built on mutual respect and a shared passion for the game. It was a community I was proud to be a part of.
Now, years after I’ve hung up my college jersey, my children are into LAX with a passion much akin to mine. Although the game hasn’t changed, the community has and it is heartbreaking to see a something I once loved in the state it is in today. Name calling, finger pointing, club / team bashing, snide and underhanded remarks… AND about children and youth programs! For the adults who feel the need to post negative comments about groups of children should be ashamed of yourselves! You are destroying the community I once loved and I urge you to take the high road so our children can enjoy the game without the drama and love LAX for what it is.
As I am almost certain that someone will have something negative to say in response to my post, I will advise you in advance that I will not retort, as this will be the last time I visit BOTC.

Great post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Love your post. However, certain clubs breed and attract this negative type of personality and they do nothing to stop it- they actually promote it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of course they do and it will continue as long as everyone keeps buying into it. Have you ever wondered why clubs promote negativity? I can assure you that it isn’t because a “club” genuinely dislikes another group of girls. It is a business tactic used intentionally to undermine the competitions reputation, credibility, and character. Businesses have been doing it for years, politicians smear opponents, and slimy attorneys use these tactics in the courtroom. If you can make people believe the competition / opposition is corrupt you’ve won their vote, loyalty and their next payment check... The only way negativity gains traction is when there is someone there believing the hype and reacting to it. We are perpetuating the situation by tolerating the behavior. The only people winning these battles are the people making the bank deposits. The sport belongs to the players, who just want to play lacrosse; do you really believe that young lady athlete can dislike an entire group of other lady athletes because they wear a different uniform? I don’t think so. The sport has been tainted by club commercialization. This mess has been created by adults who, somewhere along the line, let their eye of the real prize, the kids behind the uniforms.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I toted my stick with me everywhere I went as if it was an extension of my hands. The walls of my bedroom were filled with lacrosse posters of the greats of my time and covering my door was, what other than, the infamous Air Gait image that cost most

every attackman of my generation to be reprimanded by Coach, at least once, for attempting to replicate. Some of my greatest childhood memories and greatest friends were and are a direct result of my love for the sport.

Love your post. However, certain clubs breed and attract this negative type of personality and they do nothing to stop it- they actually promote it.

We should let the ones who act and speak inappropriately do so without response. They will embarrass themselves with no help from anyone and their culture will be replaced by one of respect. It will take time but even the loudest crying baby eventually falls asleep.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can you say flor i da .... u 15 national championships YJ lost , so how is the goalie undefeated. do your research before you post something untrue.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When do they typically post YJ 2021 and 2022 Teams (4th and 5th grade teams)?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]When do they typically post YJ 2021 and 2022 Teams (4th and 5th grade teams)?

Sunday December 22

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter told me that teams would be posted on Sun. Dec 22nd after 7pm . She was told this by one of the evaluators when leaving tryouts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]When do they typically post YJ 2021 and 2022 Teams (4th and 5th grade teams)?

Sunday December 22

Really. Why so long a wait?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious how many girls were at the tryouts?

Like Reply Quote
Page 131 of 327 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard