Originally Posted by Anonymous
For those of you that have been adamant about not having your child participate in showcases/events/select teams/LILJ events/top ten teams until recruiting year, what is your actual plan?

You've detailed a system of deep rooted favoritism, nepotism, and "money grabs." But honestly, what's your actual plan? In recruiting year, your kid is going to just enter the scene for the first time and be considered a top recruit despite there already being girls firmly planted in that system?

I'll agree that good money is spent on training, but the people who are sending their kids to all of these other things- they're also training. I can't really see the disadvantage of keeping a loose affiliation those that you are calling "money grabbers." If you spent no money on anyone who is trying to profit off of your child's lacrosse- your child would be playing no lacrosse.

Since this seems a somewhat normal response I will respond based on my experiences.

I found Coach Renee Lopez Book and Facebook group on college recruiting extremely helpful. I’m not her and don’t profit from the purchase of her book. This is what helped my daughter get recruited mid-level D 1 school

She advises to start lightly in 9th grade. She recommends picking 5-8 schools, get film and start sending out emails. She feels anything before that is a waste of time because coaches are not looking at 7th and 8th grade girls. They aren’t looking at 9th graders either but it’s to kind of get your feet wet They want to fill their recruiting classes so they are looking at 10th and 11th graders. 10th and 11th is really where you need to work your @ChillLaxin if with constant emails etc.

She recommends writing hand written notes to thank coaches for their time. She goes over what a generic prospect day invite is and which one is where a coach is interested. She says coaches don’t care what club you pay for. They just care how you look on films and watching you live (in 10th or 11th).

In the end I would never criticize how people spend their money. But if if you think playing in the all Long Island games in 6th or 7th grade will help “build your resume” it’s just not true. College coaches will not care that your were selected to the all Long Island games in 7th grade.

If you wanted to argue these things matter before the rule changes (kids could commit in 7th and 8th) then I would say you have a fair point. I had my oldest son do some of these “showcases” in 7th and 8th grade. Once he started the recruiting process I realized it was a waste of money for recruiting purposes

I would argue that being an early favorite has a lot of merit, especially when part of a high performing team. When Notre Dame calls Carol Rose and says “Do you have a good attack you can send my way” or when Hofstra is pulling from Top Guns- your affiliation will indeed matter. The advent of social media adds one part “publicity” to this recipe. Enter Wink.

I don’t think the guy who said 7th grade work counts as resume bullets meant that colleges care about your participation in 7th grade as much as he meant that these are stepping stones for future accolades.

I agree with some of these points but disagree with others. If you are on a top team it’s because you are a great player. And yes if you are on the top yellow jacket team you will get a ton more exposure to great events than say lax on elite.

However, all the social media exposure in the world(wink) will not have any bearing on whether a college coach makes you an offer. If you are a highly touted recruit it’s because you are a great player. Not because wink chose you for the all Long Island games. Top tier teams and mid level teams aren’t looking at the LILJ instagram. And also keep in mind the college coaches at these events for younger grades are being paid to be there. The assistants salary at even top schools can range in the 60-80k range They attend these events to supplement their income. Not so they can get a look at 8th graders.

Bottom line is that a college coach strictly makes a decision based on film, watching you live, and their needs for your recruiting class. That’s it