BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,835
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31
Re: Conflicts! When HS Coaches Incorporate Summer Tournament Teams in Town
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't say that they don't have players from other towns, what I said is the majority of players are from the 3 towns previously mentioned, it is an organization that favors those 3 towns, enough said!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I didn't say that they don't have players from other towns, what I said is the majority of players are from the 3 towns previously mentioned, it is an organization that favors those 3 towns, enough said!

no they don't. they'll take the best players that show up. Go to the tryout and you'll count 10 town helmets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friend, I have seen their teams at tournaments and I observe what I observe, I'm good like that....Rocky Point, Comsewogue and Mt. Sinia/Miller Place a few West Hampton here and there and yes they do take players from other towns, but again very few......but through observing them over the years, I have to say TLI is very loyal to the players that they have as they seem to move up with a secure spot year after year, can't say that for many other organizations...........wish I was from one of those towns ^^

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friend, I have seen their teams at tournaments and I observe what I observe, I'm good like that....Rocky Point, Comsewogue and Mt. Sinia/Miller Place a few West Hampton here and there and yes they do take players from other towns, but again very few......but through observing them over the years, I have to say TLI is very loyal to the players that they have as they seem to move up with a secure spot year after year, can't say that for many other organizations...........wish I was from one of those towns ^^

That maybe true for the older teams. but u-15 an under there is way more diversity. My son is on the U-14 A team. There is 2 Mt Sinai,1 Rocky point,1 Miller Place, 1 W. Hampton, NO Comsewogue! That is 5 kids from those towns. There are at least 10 towns represented on our team! The best kids make it. It doesn't matter where you are from! I agree that TLI is loyal to there kids. If you are on a team you really have to play yourself off the team to be replaced!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That maybe true for the older teams. but u-15 an under there is way more diversity. My son is on the U-14 A team. There is 2 Mt Sinai,1 Rocky point,1 Miller Place, 1 W. Hampton, NO Comsewogue! That is 5 kids from those towns. There are at least 10 towns represented on our team! The best kids make it. It doesn't matter where you are from! I agree that TLI is loyal to there kids. If you are on a team you really have to play yourself off the team to be replaced!

Rather than call it Team Long Island, they should call it Team Suffolk. No Nassau kids at all?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rather than call it Team Long Island, they should call it Team Suffolk. No Nassau kids at all?

Probably because it's too far, they practice in Mt. Sinai.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and where do the j-e-t-s play and practice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everyone from Nassau knows that the Jets practice and play in East Meadow!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not Suprising, Check fl$, Mostly Nassau County, if not fully. Location is important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good one! illustrating the point further that some people are always 5 years behind where they should be.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good one! illustrating the point further that some people are always 5 years behind where they should be.

Jokes on you bud...East Meadow HS mascot is JETS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I doubt Smithtown frowns on club teams. Some of their HS coaches coach for the LI Thunder.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I doubt Smithtown frowns on club teams. Some of their HS coaches coach for the LI Thunder.

does Team Smithtown take kids from both High Schools?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, Team Smithtown takes kids from both schools. If they have enough kids to create an East and West team, then they will. That is what they are going to try this year with U13 teams. However, they are also setting up these teams to play all year long like other clubs, so I doubt you will have a choice to play on another club at the same time!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team smith town, what other towns can create a competitive team to pay you guys...

Yes, Team Smithtown takes kids from both schools. If they have enough kids to create an East and West team, then they will. That is what they are going to try this year with U13 teams. However, they are also setting up these teams to play all year long like other clubs, so I doubt you will have a choice to play on another club at the same time!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who runs / owns Team Smithtown?

Who coaches the High School Teams, JV and Varsity?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team smith town, what other towns can create a competitive team to pay you guys...

I wish Sachem would do that. They break up East and North starting in K. Instead of building an A super team. xwdem4

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting back to the original concept of this thread, HS summer teams should be optional and or in addition to travel teams. Many HS teams in Western Suffolk play weekly in a local league. Thus, "keeping the boys together". The play and practice with the school duringthe week, and the do their recruiting tournaments and travel clubs on the weekend.
This seems to be a good complimentary situation.
In no way should a HS coach make his team play for him all summer. It all comes down to control and financial gain, wether actual or perceived. Having one man in control of your son's potential lacrosse aspirations is not what you want. The people who should be driving the recruiting process are the parents and the player. The HS coach should only be there to help the process along, not control it. Having the HS coach control what recruiting camps your son will go to or how much playing time he'll get over the summer in front of key coaches, is not a good situation. This is especially true for the average prospective college player, good enough for the next level, but maybe not a D1 kid. For the superstar it doesn't matter, the top schools will find him.
With regard to the financial piece: Any time a coach is making kids play for a team he runs and you pay for, always creates an underlying sentiment that there's a profit motive. Wether the coaches motives are pure or not this situation always wreaks of financial impropriety.
Let the kids and parents make their decisions for summer ball, and let the HS coaches worry about the spring. Very simple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who runs / owns Team Smithtown?

Who coaches the High School Teams, JV and Varsity?

Rick Suris is the Director of Team Smithtown he also has two kids in program which is the first conflict of interest!

They did a poor job this year involving decisions to overhaul the program and create a single 6th-7th grade superteam. They say there may be two, but lets face it, then there would just be two mediocre teams, so what would be the point? Where does that leave the kids that don't make the team? They will play club! In fact, many have already turned to clubs to cover their backs!

As for coaching, Jason Lambert is the East coach and Moltisanti is west, Apparently they will coach the young kids too with all their free time!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting back to the original concept of this thread, HS summer teams should be optional and or in addition to travel teams. Many HS teams in Western Suffolk play weekly in a local league. Thus, "keeping the boys together". The play and practice with the school duringthe week, and the do their recruiting tournaments and travel clubs on the weekend.
In no way should a HS coach make his team play for him all summer. It all comes down to control and financial gain, wether actual or perceived. Having one man in control of your son's potential lacrosse aspirations is not what you want. The people who should be driving the recruiting process are the parents and the player. The HS coach should only be there to help the process along, not control it. Having the HS coach control what recruiting camps your son will go to or how much playing time he'll get over the summer in front of key coaches, is not a good situation. This is especially true for the average prospective college player, good enough for the next level, but maybe not a D1 kid. For the superstar it doesn't matter, the top schools will find him.
With regard to the financial piece: Any time a coach is making kids play for a team he runs and you pay for, always creates an underlying sentiment that there's a profit motive. Wether the coaches motives are pure or not this situation always wreaks of financial impropriety.
Let the kids and parents make their decisions for summer ball, and let the HS coaches worry about the spring. Very simple.

This is one of the best posts on this subject!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Team Smithtown takes kids from two different high schools doesn't that fly in the face of what all of the proponents of a (HS / town summer club) talk about?

I keep hearing the argument made that (playing together) helps build chemistry.

Back to the original topic.

Yes, it is a conflict of interest for a HS Coach to profit from a summer club team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope the Manhasset girls varsity coach reads this post!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Totally agree great post- ESM boys coach should read this as well

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every town club that that using their position as a control should read this. The club school programs should collaborate - because honestly would this be a debate - if they worked together i.e. advising them. News Flash Town Club.... Parents will play both - they understand that playing with town kids is important, but they want travel as well. At least a lot of parents are smart enough to understand some of these town clubs are over stepping - as I saw a lot (WM, GC, Smithtown, Sachem, WI, etc) at these tryouts yesterday. And at the end of the day the school coaches will put the best kid on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ESM Coach is the worst with this......From the talent I've seen over there, they should let the boys get outside coaching. ESM will not be a power going forward if we have to only in house....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious, do the high school coaches want to control a players decision whether to play on a club team during the summer because said coach would like the opportunity to bring his players to a higher level within their system, and at the end of the journey, that same high school coach has the pride in knowing that he is the reason the player goes on to play college lacrosse. I would think that if a high school coach is dedicated enough to put together a team and keep it together during the summer, and this high school coach watches his team grow from year to year, this high school coach has invested a lot of time into his players, and he would like to see his players succeed knowing he had something to do with it. I do believe though, that a player should have a choice as to where he or she would like to play, but I feel that they should do all that is possible to represent their school team if given the opportunity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anybody have any input regarding Massapequa H.S. coaches trying to get their middle schoolers to play summer travel for their town only based Team Chief ? I know a lot of those kids played for 91 and Jesters. Just curious if they are getting kids to commit to town program instead of club teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious, do the high school coaches want to control a players decision whether to play on a club team during the summer because said coach would like the opportunity to bring his players to a higher level within their system, and at the end of the journey, that same high school coach has the pride in knowing that he is the reason the player goes on to play college lacrosse. I would think that if a high school coach is dedicated enough to put together a team and keep it together during the summer, and this high school coach watches his team grow from year to year, this high school coach has invested a lot of time into his players, and he would like to see his players succeed knowing he had something to do with it. I do believe though, that a player should have a choice as to where he or she would like to play, but I feel that they should do all that is possible to represent their school team if given the opportunity.

And I think the parents feel that way. And I think we are all insane enough to do both and make it work. However, the coaches debate has been the ultimatum "us or them". And then use that ultimatum to run a club, i.e, the conflict. They already have the captive audience and people will support a school summer team. I have no problem with anybody making money (no matter their position) or what they charge. Just stop with anti-club nonsense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This trend has reached a new level in Ward Melville. For years, the youth program has said if you play outside of our 3 village program you can’t play on the town travel team. That was fine and everyone understood their options. Some families stayed with the town program, but some also left for select teams like express, 91 team LI...The families that left generally have either really good players that wanted more competition than town team tournaments, or players that weren’t as strong that weren’t getting playing time on the town team. It was sad that the teams lost players and the boys lost the opportunity to practice and play with their friends, but generally it worked out ok for all.

Now, at the HS travel level they have two teams-Green and Gold (JV and Varsity) being coached by HS coaches. At the recent try-outs, there were approximately 100 boys for roughly 50 spots. There were several boys trying out that had previously played on select teams (all whom are now very strong players). Having talked to some of those families I learned that they were trying out to make sure the HS coaches knew their kid existed…

At the end of the try-out, the coaches thanked all for the boys for trying out and were pretty open about their expectations. They don’t want any Ward Melville boys playing outside of their reams. The threat is clear, play elsewhere and you have no shot at playing on the Varsity team ever. Now, for most of the boys, the threat is really nonsense as the HS varsity team rarely plays more than 12 or 13 boys during any game (except for last Q in a blowout, starters don’t leave the field). So unless you have a real shot to be one of those 12 or 13, you should tell the coach to jump off the local bridge. However, if you have a shot to be one of those, then you are in a ridiculous bind. The coaches want the boys together because they say it makes the HS team stronger and it is a fair point. But all the boys want the chance to play. So if you are one of the 12 or 13 you get looked at by colleges and have a shot to get recruited, but if your are not and only play at junk time, no one ever sees you.

The summer team plays 5 tournaments and so unless you are on of the 12 or 13, you need to get really lucky to get an opportunity for a college coach to see you do anything…It is left to each kid to figure out how to get himself recruited.

The net result in WM is that at any given time there are 10 kids that won’t see the field that would get a starting job at most other HS programs. They are giving up their shot to play and get looked at by colleges (remember D II and D III are really great options for most kids) –all to make the HS program stronger???

In my humble opinion this is a completely inappropriate use of power by a HS coach, by a school district and a complete shame. I have heard a rumor that Smithtown is making a similar threat and as a result I suspect Turtles team will also be impacted as some will choose HS team over Turtle team.

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can play for My High School team in the Shoreham tournament or I can go to the fall Jake Reed. But I cant do both because they are the same weekend. What would the people on this board advise?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jake Reed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jake Reed

I guess if you ask some of the HS coaches, it would be the local tournament. Ya know, cause they're all about the "KIDS".

In many towns school ball is becoming glorified stick time. It means next to nothing. That's why club is so valuable...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This trend has reached a new level in Ward Melville. For years, the youth program has said if you play outside of our 3 village program you can’t play on the town travel team. That was fine and everyone understood their options. Some families stayed with the town program, but some also left for select teams like express, 91 team LI...The families that left generally have either really good players that wanted more competition than town team tournaments, or players that weren’t as strong that weren’t getting playing time on the town team. It was sad that the teams lost players and the boys lost the opportunity to practice and play with their friends, but generally it worked out ok for all.

Now, at the HS travel level they have two teams-Green and Gold (JV and Varsity) being coached by HS coaches. At the recent try-outs, there were approximately 100 boys for roughly 50 spots. There were several boys trying out that had previously played on select teams (all whom are now very strong players). Having talked to some of those families I learned that they were trying out to make sure the HS coaches knew their kid existed…

At the end of the try-out, the coaches thanked all for the boys for trying out and were pretty open about their expectations. They don’t want any Ward Melville boys playing outside of their reams. The threat is clear, play elsewhere and you have no shot at playing on the Varsity team ever. Now, for most of the boys, the threat is really nonsense as the HS varsity team rarely plays more than 12 or 13 boys during any game (except for last Q in a blowout, starters don’t leave the field). So unless you have a real shot to be one of those 12 or 13, you should tell the coach to jump off the local bridge. However, if you have a shot to be one of those, then you are in a ridiculous bind. The coaches want the boys together because they say it makes the HS team stronger and it is a fair point. But all the boys want the chance to play. So if you are one of the 12 or 13 you get looked at by colleges and have a shot to get recruited, but if your are not and only play at junk time, no one ever sees you.

The summer team plays 5 tournaments and so unless you are on of the 12 or 13, you need to get really lucky to get an opportunity for a college coach to see you do anything…It is left to each kid to figure out how to get himself recruited.

The net result in WM is that at any given time there are 10 kids that won’t see the field that would get a starting job at most other HS programs. They are giving up their shot to play and get looked at by colleges (remember D II and D III are really great options for most kids) –all to make the HS program stronger???

In my humble opinion this is a completely inappropriate use of power by a HS coach, by a school district and a complete shame. I have heard a rumor that Smithtown is making a similar threat and as a result I suspect Turtles team will also be impacted as some will choose HS team over Turtle team.

Agree with poster about WM summer program. If your kid is not in their view (which is clearly blurry at times) better off playing for travel programs at your grade level. This program does nothing for the above average player who is not the stud of the program. Kids who can clearly play for lower DI, DII or DIII programs this system does not help them at all. With over 25 kids on a roster and the mismanagement of how many positional players they have placed on the teams your kid may see only a few minutes in the game. It is a disgrace that such a powerhouse lacrosse town can not do more for these kids who fall between the cracks of the system. Having been through the system it is a shame, disgrace that they haven't figured out it is not the best possible system to help more kids play at the collegiate level than the starting guys on the field. When is anyone going to step up and question what is being done? Where are the board members of 3V lacrosse...oh yeh...they are all on the top team.

I am glad that I no longer have to have my kids going through this debacle but I feel for those kids and parents who are being pushed to the side when they should figure out a way to develop all the talent that is there not just the chosen few. The system is broken so fix it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Will be interesting to see how many kids they lose from the current structured program. So much for staying as a "town team" only to be dumped by the next level. Don't buy into it in the early grades.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sour grapes...you're a whiner, glad you're gone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mismanagement of positional players? can you elaborate?
not sure which wm team son played on but everyone got alot of playing time. You sound like another parent that cannot accept
your son's playing level? Funny thing is that all the boys had a great time playing and hanging out with their teammates & it was the parents with the frowns on their faces...interesting..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sour grapes...you're a whiner, glad you're gone.

My guess is your kid is one of the few tht benefit. Read the guys post. Valid point. Just saying it is a program that is not optimal. You wouldn't see that though because your head is too far up the coaches a$$.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Will be interesting to see how many kids they lose from the current structured program. So much for staying as a "town team" only to be dumped by the next level. Don't buy into it in the early grades.

Doubt it is from Smithtown. One of the varsity coaches - coaches for the Thunder.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't think there aren't issues with these town/school travel teams. In my town ...

1. There are players at younger grades currently on rosters, that have been taken only because their older siblings play JV or varsity.
2. There have been other players previously covered by item 1 above, who have subsequently been cut when their older siblings have graduated (what message does that send to a kid ?!?!).
3. There are players in private school, with no intention of going to the public middle school or public high school, which the summer program is intended to feed into. (Not the biggest issue, but this a roster spot taken up by a player who will someday play for the competition.)
4. There are players on rosters who are there only because their dad's were on varsity way back when.
5. There are non-lacrosse players on rosters because they are also football players, and there is a push to make them lacrosse players (taking a long view into high school, so they can play football in the fall and lax in the spring) -- some of these boys lack fundamental stick skills (of course, they could be great eventually, but maybe not).

And all of the foregoing results in a certain amount of good, motivated lacrosse players either not making a roster, or losing playing time, in many cases to boys who in all fairness did not legitimately earn their spot. And that makes the team weaker.

And potentially worse ... a number of elite players forgo the town travel team entirely, and play on private clubs. Perhaps to avoid the nonsense, or perhaps to play on a stronger team. So, oddly, the system can be counterproductive to the goal of keeping good players "in town". I suppose those players expect to glide onto the JV team when they reach high school, but that of course assumes the coaches don't hold it against them that they played elsewhere.

I am certain most or even all of this happens with every town that has a school-based travel team (assuming it is a team/program that most kids want to play on).

Indeed, conflicts a-plenty !!

The private clubs aren't much better. You pay more for less.

Wahh!

Like Reply Quote
Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard