Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Marina Bergin from Harborfields High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #35 ranked senior on Long Island and from Harborfields High School, Marina Bergin for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Bergin, has proven herself playing as an Midfield in Harborfields HS and now has chosen to serve Navy. Let's see what she has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Marina Bergin

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Varsity Head Coach Jessica?  
Marina Bergin: “Well done is better than well said.”

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
MB: Our coach began saying this a few years ago and it quickly became our team motto that we use to remind each other to get the job done.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
MB: Playing for my fifth and final season at Harborfields before I head off to play at the Naval Academy has been bittersweet and especially memorable. I will especially treasure this season because it marks the end of my time playing in my community, just 2 miles from my house, whereas Navy will be 250 miles away from my friends and family.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Navy and what other colleges were you considering?
MB: I chose to attend the Naval Academy because I was drawn to the idea of a challenging academic as well as athletic environment, while also having the ability to serve my country. I was also considering schools such as UPenn, Johns Hopkins, and University of Michigan.

BOTC:What are your plans after graduation? Could be related or not with lacrosse.
MB: As I am attending a military academy, just five days after my high school graduation I will be reporting for my plebe summer training in Annapolis. I will look forward to picking up my stick again for fall ball on the Navy Women's Lacrosse team.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
MB: I am not incredibly superstitious, although I do make sure to tie the same yellow ribbon in my hair before every game in honor of my grandpa, who used to come to all of my games before he passed. The yellow ribbon is my way of making sure he is still with me while I play in all of my games now.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
MB: My playlist is always changing, however lately I have been listening to classic rock, mostly Aerosmith before games.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
MB: Lacrosse training and working out takes up a lot of my free time in and out of season, but reading has always been one of my favorite things to do especially to wind down.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Spaghetti w/garlic and oil, & Water
  • Favorite Color? Aquamarine
  • Favorite Movie? Die Hard
  • Favorite Sports Team? Tennessee Titans
  • Favorite Athlete? Peyton Manning
  • Favorite Season? Spring

See some of Marina's career athletic accomplishments: All Tournament: 8th grade, All Division: Freshman, All County: Junior, Team captain: Junior-Senior, Newsday Top 100 players on Long Island, Back of the cage Top 40 Sophomores (in 2019).

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series