Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Brendan Staub from Garden City High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #9 ranked senior on Long Island and from Garden City High School, Brendan Staub for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Brendan Staub, has proven himself playing as a Defenseman in Garden City HS and now has chosen to serve Cornell University. Let's see what he has to say in our weekly Senior Spotlights Q&A series.

Q&A w/ Brendan Staub

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Steve?  
Brendan Staub: Not an exact saying, but he always emphasizes how fleeting the season is, and how you have to make the most out of all the opportunities you are given.

BOTC: How much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
BS: He definitely motivates us to work as hard as possible every day in practice, not only to improve ourselves but also to help our teammates reach their goals.

BOTC: How much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
BS: This season will be unlike any I’ve played thus far. Being able to play one last time with the friends I’ve grown up with is really special, and I’m cherishing every moment.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend Cornell University and what other colleges were you considering?
BS: I chose Cornell because of the people. No other school compared when it came to the quality of the people within the program - teammates, coaches, alumni. Additionally, a tradition of lacrosse and academic excellence drew me to the school.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
BS: I am superstitious. I always need to listen to music before games, and I typically eat and drink the same things leading up to a game.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
BS: Lots of Kanye West, some ‘90s rock, and a little Billy Joel.

BOTC: Aside from the trainings, what are other hobbies you usually like to-do?
BS: I like to play golf, read, and go to the beach in the summer.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food & Drink? Food - steak, Drink - coke
  • Favorite Color? Blue
  • Favorite Movie? Miracle
  • Favorite Sports Team? New York Jets
  • Favorite Athlete? Quinnen Williams
  • Favorite Season? Summer

See some of Brendan's career athletic accomplishments: All-American Lacrosse, Academic All-American Lacrosse, All-County Lacrosse, Varsity Lacrosse Captain, All-State Football, All-Long Island Football, Martone Award Winner (Top Lineman in Nassau County), Fiedler Award (Top Football Scholar-Athlete in Nassau County), All-County Football, Varsity Football Captain.

Written By: Jes Ilagan
Back Of The CAGE | BackOfTheCAGE.com
See The List of Seniors Featured on The BOTC Senior Spotlight Series