Re: Colleges, Coaches, Recruitment : 2013-2014
Anonymous #45243 10/17/13 08:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree college coaches committing rising freshmen and sophomores has gotten out of hand. However, I don't think the trend is going to reverse itself anytime soon. That's because there's not much risk for the college coaches. Top D1 men's lacrosse programs bring in 12-14 recruits per year. If they completely swing and miss on 7-9 of them, that still gives them 5 recruits that they are happy with. On average, that gives them 20 players on the roster at any given time which is more than they need. And that's if they completely miss on 60% of their recruits. Most coaches of top D1 programs have been at it for sometime and I doubt they would be in their positions if they consistently missed on more than 60% of their recruits year in, year out. So, as long as the kids are willing to commit early, the coaches will be more than happy to take them.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think that college coaches committing sophomores is a huge mistake on there part. Like the previous post stated, what about late bloomers. N.D. took 5 players from a single squad that seemed almost unbeatable 2 years ago, but today falls somewhere in the top 5. Not nearly as strong or dominate not because there somehow lesser players, but because in the last year and a half, so many players have matured and caught up. College coaches, I feel, get fooled by players that get a lot of hype early because they reach varsity status early, or have personal connections to coaches in both the high school and college ranks. We must also remember that many highly touted players in high school also struggle for many reasons and disappear from the collegiate scene. This is a risk a coach is taking, I think, a little to lightly.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #45390 10/18/13 04:27 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Question : Does an academic scholarship get counted against the NCAA Compliance limit for an equivalency sport like lacrosse?

Answer : From the NCAA Division I Guidelines, Page 213, Section 15.5.3.2.2 (Exceptions) defines how an Academic Award can be calculated OUTSIDE the athletic computations.

15.5.3.2.2.1 Academic Honor AwardsóBased on High School Record.

Academic honor awards that are part of an institutionís normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipientís high school record and awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by institutions, are exempt from an institutionís equivalency computation, provided the recipient was ranked in the upper 10 percent of the high school graduating class or achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.500 (based on a maximum of 4.000) or a minimum ACT sum score of 105 or a minimum SAT score of 1200 (critical reading and math). (Adopted: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/99, Revised: 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10)

15.5.3.2.2.1.1 Additional Requirements. The following additional requirements shall be met: (Adopted: 1/12/99 effective 8/1/99)

(a) The awards may include additional, nonacademic criteria (e.g., interviews, essays, need analysis), provided the additional criteria are not based on athletics ability, participation or interests, and the awards are consistent with the pattern of all such awards provided to all students;

(b) No quota of awards shall be designated for student-athletes;

(c) Athletics participation shall not be required before or after collegiate enrollment;

(d) No athletics department staff member shall be involved in designating the recipients of such awards;

(e) Any additional criteria shall not include athletics ability, participation or interests; and

(f) There must be on file in the office of the director of athletics certification by the financial aid director or the chair of the financial aid committee that such awards are part of the institutionís normal arrangements for academic scholarships, awarded independently of athletics ability, participation and interests, and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution.

CageSage #46165 10/25/13 03:44 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
NCAA Division I Menís Lacrosse Recruiting Calendar

August 1, 2013 through July 31, 2014

(See NCAA Division I Bylaw 13.17.5 for Menís Lacrosse Calendar Formula)

(a) August 1-5, 2013: Contact Period
(b) August 6-12, 2013: Quiet Period
(c) August 13-31, 2013: Dead Period
(d) September 1 through October 31, 2013: Contact Period (No Lacrosse Evaluations)
(e) November 1-26, 2013 [except for (*) below]: Contact Period
(*) November 11-14, 2013: Dead Period
(f) November 27 through December 1, 2013: Dead Period
(g) December 2-23, 2013: Quiet Period
(h) December 24, 2013 through January 5, 2014: Dead Period
(i) January 6-20, 2014: Contact Period (No Lacrosse Evaluations)
(j) January 21 through February 28, 2014: Quiet Period
(k) March 1 through May 22, 2014, [except for (**) below]: Contact Period
(**) April 14-17, 2014: Dead Period
(l) May 23-27 (noon), 2014: Dead Period
(m) May 27 (12:01 p.m.) through July 31, 2014: Contact Period

CageSage #46166 10/25/13 03:47 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
NCAA Division I Womenís Lacrosse Recruiting Calendar

August 1, 2013 through July 31, 2014

(See NCAA Division I Bylaw 13.17.6 for Womenís Lacrosse Calendar Formula)

(a) August 1-31, 2013 -- Seven contact days selected at the discretion of the institution and designated in writing in the office of the director of athletics. On the designated days, an institution's coaches are not restricted in the number of prospective student-athletes contacted in a single day.
Contact Only (No Evaluations)

(b) Those days during August 1-31, 2013, not designated in (a)
above for contact purposes: Quiet Period

(c) September 1 through November 26, 2013, [except for (1) and
(2) below]: Contact Period

(1) November 11-14, 2013: Dead Period

(2) November 9-10, 16-17 and 23-24: Evaluations of prospective student-athletes participating in lacrosse activities are limited to the three weekends (Saturday and Sunday) prior to Thanksgiving.

(d) November 27, 2013 through January 1, 2014: Quiet Period

(e) January 2 through May 22, 2014, [except for (1) below]: Contact Period

(1) April 14-17, 2014: Dead Period

(f) May 23-25, 2014: Note: Evaluations may occur at one event conducted during the weekend of the NCAA Division I Womenís Lacrosse Championship, provided the event is conducted within a
100-mile radius of the site of the championship. The evaluation must be conducted on a day in which no championship competition is conducted. Dead Period

(g) May 26 through July 31, 2014: Contact Period

CageSage #47154 11/12/13 05:05 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
From a report aired on WABC-TV in New [lacrosse] on Tuesday, November 12th : 31% of college admissions officers are now reporting that they use a student applicant's Facebook page as a tool to get to know more about the student.

Cumulatively, those same admissions officers report that nearly 1/3rd of their searches are uncovering questionable behaviors or practices within the Facebook photos.

BOTC has often recommended watching your public profiles as a student-athlete and this report offers some concrete metrics for our readers.

Sponsored Links
CageSage #47342 11/14/13 10:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage -.what's your opinion of college prospect days, particularly for 9th graders? These seem to have gained in popularity and while it feels like a money grab, I don't think it's a bad thing to connect with a targeted program in any way that you can.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Anonymous #47500 11/15/13 08:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage - I recently filled out a bunch of online questionnaires for my 2017 daughter. After I was done, I realized that I put the wrong 1 mile time for her, by mistake! I put down 7:08, instead of 6:38, on any forms that asked for a mile time...I'm so frustrated and upset over it...can you give me any advice? Do you think I should fill them out again, or email the coaches, or just leave it alone? I'm so pissed! I appreciate your thought, or ideas, on it.

Anonymous #47501 11/15/13 08:51 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Cage -.what's your opinion of college prospect days, particularly for 9th graders? These seem to have gained in popularity and while it feels like a money grab, I don't think it's a bad thing to connect with a targeted program in any way that you can.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Lacrosse has a unique advantage in the world of team sports showcasing as there are so many quality combines (individual showcases) available to help the recruiting effort in parallel with team tournaments.

At the recent K&J Athletics Boys Showcase-Clinic, there was substantial interest from coaches in looking at the Class of 2017 (9th Graders). While offers will not be made in most cases, it does allow freshman players to establish a presence with a coach's program.

Quite frankly, BOTC does not currently see any issues with freshman year High School players participating, particularly given many sophomore and junior year commitments taking place.

Our view is that the NCAA is trying to loosen recruiting restrictions since so many of them are incredibly difficult to police. Equivilency sports (like lacrosse) which are typically non-revenue generating are not where the NCAA tends to be most concerned about recruiting violations. What the NCAA is trying to control is the recruiting calendar - meaning that there are specific dead periods during the year to avoid constant recruiting interruptions on holiday periods and various other times during the year.

Anonymous #47502 11/15/13 08:58 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Cage - I recently filled out a bunch of online questionnaires for my 2017 daughter. After I was done, I realized that I put the wrong 1 mile time for her, by mistake! I put down 7:08, instead of 6:38, on any forms that asked for a mile time...I'm so frustrated and upset over it...can you give me any advice? Do you think I should fill them out again, or email the coaches, or just leave it alone? I'm so pissed! I appreciate your thought, or ideas, on it.
First and foremost : Completing online questionnaires should be a job for your daughter. While you can participate in the exercise of reviewing content (letters, schedules, resume details), your daughter needs to take an ownership role in the completion of these expressions of interest.

If ownership was in the right place, perhaps this mile time error would not have happened.

At this point, your daughter should draft a letter which can be sent to the target college coaches and introduce herself. In that letter she should explain that her mile time has improved since the original entry on the questionnaire. The last thing a college coach wants to hear from a potential player is "my mom did it wrong for me".

Most importantly, a target college coach that has yet to form a coach-recruit relationship with your student-athlete daughter certainly does not want that first contact coming through Mom.

Hope that this helps.

CageSage #47503 11/15/13 09:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

First and foremost : Completing online questionnaires should be a job for your daughter. While you can participate in the exercise of reviewing content (letters, schedules, resume details), your daughter needs to take an ownership role in the completion of these expressions of interest.

If ownership was in the right place, perhaps this mile time error would not have happened.

At this point, your daughter should draft a letter which can be sent to the target college coaches and introduce herself. In that letter she should explain that her mile time has improved since the original entry on the questionnaire. The last thing a college coach wants to hear from a potential player is "my mom did it wrong for me".

Most importantly, a target college coach that has yet to form a coach-recruit relationship with your student-athlete daughter certainly does not want that first contact coming through Mom.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks Cage. Definitely helps. I understand your point, and we don't plan to correspond with the coaches, until it comes time to talk real specifics, like finances, etc. (probably 2 years from now). She did fill out about 8 questionnaires on her own last night. They were so repetitive, and there was nothing on them that needed her personal input at this point, or that had any connection to her. It was all just the same facts over and over. So, to save her some time, I filled out a bunch today, while I had time. The mile time mistake came from her, not me. We previously (just two days before the questionnaires) emailed all the coaches (from her, not me), and attached a profile page, with her personal, school and club team information. Everything's coming from "her", as far as the coaches can see. Nothing from mom or dad.

Being that she's only a freshman, the questionnaires are half blank as it is (no SAT's, GPA, HS stats, etc.), so I was thinking about just leaving things as-is, being that she'll need to update all that other info next year, or in the late spring, I guess. That actually raises another question - when we have new information, or "faster" times, what should she do? Does she fill out the questionnaire all over again, or just email the coaches, with updates to the answers she originally gave, or left blank?

Back to my original dilemma - now that you know what we've done so far, do you think she should email each coach, specifically about the 30 second mistake on the mile time? She can't say her time improved, since it was just a few days ago. Maybe we wait until spring, and then send update emails, about her faster time? I'm not sure how critical that will be at this point, since so much other information is also missing, for now. What do you think?

As always, thanks for your advice, and input!

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #47504 11/15/13 09:49 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Thanks Cage. Definitely helps. I understand your point, and we don't plan to correspond with the coaches, until it comes time to talk real specifics, like finances, etc. (probably 2 years from now). She did fill out about 8 questionnaires on her own last night. They were so repetitive, and there was nothing on them that needed her personal input at this point, or that had any connection to her. It was all just the same facts over and over.
Yes, the questionnaire phase can be that way. Typically, that data goes into a database managed by an assistant or recruiting coach. Effectively, it allows a list of interested candidates to be tracked - or perhaps an e-mail list for future camps. None the less, a mistake over the mile time is certainly not a major issue at this point and will be lost in a year's time.

So, to save her some time, I filled out a bunch today, while I had time. The mile time mistake came from her, not me. We previously (just two days before the questionnaires) emailed all the coaches (from her, not me), and attached a profile page, with her personal, school and club team information. Everything's coming from "her", as far as the coaches can see. Nothing from mom or dad.
Excellent - as BOTC has recommended, if you can set up a dedicated e-mail account for college recruitment purposes, you might find that you can remain more organized. By mailing coaches, it is clear that you have at least started working with your daughter on her Top Ten Academic and Athletic schools.

Being that she's only a freshman, the questionnaires are half blank as it is (no SAT's, GPA, HS stats, etc.), so I was thinking about just leaving things as-is, being that she'll need to update all that other info next year, or in the late spring, I guess.
The PSAT and PLAN (ACT pre-test) scores will occasionally be requested also as these are early indicators of Board Exam success.

That actually raises another question - when we have new information, or "faster" times, what should she do? Does she fill out the questionnaire all over again, or just email the coaches, with updates to the answers she originally gave, or left blank?
This is a huge non-issue as a freshman. No decision will ever be made on that mile time entry.

Back to my original dilemma - now that you know what we've done so far, do you think she should email each coach, specifically about the 30 second mistake on the mile time? She can't say her time improved, since it was just a few days ago. Maybe we wait until spring, and then send update emails, about her faster time? I'm not sure how critical that will be at this point, since so much other information is also missing, for now. What do you think?
She should e-mail the coach when she has something substantial to say - like at the point of the next showcase games at a recruiting event.

It has been a pleasure - keep up the good work.

CageSage #47505 11/15/13 09:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Thanks Cage. Definitely helps. I understand your point, and we don't plan to correspond with the coaches, until it comes time to talk real specifics, like finances, etc. (probably 2 years from now). She did fill out about 8 questionnaires on her own last night. They were so repetitive, and there was nothing on them that needed her personal input at this point, or that had any connection to her. It was all just the same facts over and over.
Yes, the questionnaire phase can be that way. Typically, that data goes into a database managed by an assistant or recruiting coach. Effectively, it allows a list of interested candidates to be tracked - or perhaps an e-mail list for future camps. None the less, a mistake over the mile time is certainly not a major issue at this point and will be lost in a year's time.

So, to save her some time, I filled out a bunch today, while I had time. The mile time mistake came from her, not me. We previously (just two days before the questionnaires) emailed all the coaches (from her, not me), and attached a profile page, with her personal, school and club team information. Everything's coming from "her", as far as the coaches can see. Nothing from mom or dad.
Excellent - as BOTC has recommended, if you can set up a dedicated e-mail account for college recruitment purposes, you might find that you can remain more organized. By mailing coaches, it is clear that you have at least started working with your daughter on her Top Ten Academic and Athletic schools.

Being that she's only a freshman, the questionnaires are half blank as it is (no SAT's, GPA, HS stats, etc.), so I was thinking about just leaving things as-is, being that she'll need to update all that other info next year, or in the late spring, I guess.
The PSAT and PLAN (ACT pre-test) scores will occasionally be requested also as these are early indicators of Board Exam success.

That actually raises another question - when we have new information, or "faster" times, what should she do? Does she fill out the questionnaire all over again, or just email the coaches, with updates to the answers she originally gave, or left blank?
This is a huge non-issue as a freshman. No decision will ever be made on that mile time entry.

She should e-mail the coach when she has something substantial to say - like at the point of the next showcase games at a recruiting event.

It has been a pleasure - keep up the good work.

Great, thanks again Cage! There's so much to keep track of, and your advice is straightforward and organized. This is one of the things I love about BOTC. Your advice and opinions are priceless!

Anonymous #48059 11/21/13 08:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody know anything about Capital U, a website that supposedly links players with college coaches and vice versa.

Attended the Yale Fall Tournament and the organizers must have given them my email address. I am now being solicited. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anonymous #48061 11/21/13 08:56 AM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Anybody know anything about Capital U, a website that supposedly links players with college coaches and vice versa.

Attended the Yale Fall Tournament and the organizers must have given them my email address. I am now being solicited. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
The web site is actually Captain U. BOTC has long recommended against using a pay-for recruiting web site when you can achieve the same results with your own e-mailings to your target coaches. Hence, our on-going emphasis on the Top Ten Academic and Top Ten Athletic lists being formed before your family makes its first college contacts.

You can certainly take advantage of their free services (develop a recruiting profile), but that does represent limited value. The site does offer access to 15,000 college coaches - but if you follow our methodology around academics and athletics, you should have to track no more than 30-40 colleges over the lifetime of your student-athlete's recruiting cycle.

CageSage #48124 11/21/13 03:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do we know if programs like
Robert morris University
Providnce
Monmuth
Hartford
Quinipiac
Are fully funded D1 lacrosse programs???

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
BOTC SPONSORS