Senior Spotlight Q&A w/ Forrest Demetri from North Shore High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #18 ranked senior on Long Island and from North Shore High School, Forrest Demetri for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Forrest Demetri has helped North Shore High School to get on the map per se' with his performance over the past 4 years. The 3x All County Attackman has been consistent since day one and has become the all-time leading point scorer at his school with his impressive 106 goals and 104 assists for a total of 210 career points and that's with missing his junior year due to covid-19 after putting up 63 points as a sophomore. With Demetri's playmaking ability, he helped lead the Vikings to several playoff appearances which haven't been done in years for them and he proved why he is one of the best attackman in his class. Not only did he perform on the field but also earned Academic All County and will now be attending the prestigious Brown University this fall. Take a look below to see what the senior had to say when we caught up with him this week.

Q&A w/ Forrest Demetri

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Forrest Demetri(FD): At first I didn’t think it was real. Waiting day after day for any updates whether we are going to play and the season is just being delayed or if it was completely cancelled. Once we got the news that the season was cancelled, I wasn’t sure how to react. The only thing on my mind was to use this time to get better and that help me keep my head up. I went on runs everyday, wall ball, mastering my footwork and shooting.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Michael?  
FD: Coach Mike Brennan always told me to play my game. Play loose. He knew I was good enough of a player where I would be able to make those risky passes and creative shots. I was lucky enough to have such good talent around me that I wouldn’t have to be afraid if I mess up. My teammates and coach always had my back and allowed me to play my game without any hesitation.

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
FD: This season was a first and last varsity season for a lot of guys and the motivation comes just from that. Knowing that this is a shortened season, everyone made sure to go hard in every single drill, running and compete for every ground ball and 1v1 because we knew we didn’t have a lot of time and if we didn’t go hard enough, we would regret it in the end.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
FD: When I was on varsity in 8th grade, a lot of the seniors use to tell me, “oh don’t worry, you still have a lot of games left” and I took that for granted. Time flies. Going into my senior season, I just want to have fun. Lacrosse is called the medicine game for a reason, it heals us when we are in bad spots. Missing out on my junior year was tough but there was nothing anyone can do about it. Getting out there on the field for the first time in 2 years just felt great and I cherished every moment of every game because I knew I wasn’t going to get any of it back.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend the Brown University, and what other colleges were you considering?
FD:: I chose Brown University because of how prestigious the university is and how great the lacrosse program is. Brown has one of the best coaching staffs in NCAA and I connected with all of them since I was a freshman going up to the prospect camps. I considered other colleges like BU, Fairfield and Binghamton but when I got a call from Coach Holm on September 1st, it was hard to pass on that offer. The campus is beautiful and in a great city of Providence and I instantly fell in love with the atmosphere there.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
FD: One superstition I have is that I always roll my socks down when I play. Makes me feel quicker.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
FD: There He Go by Kodak, Bad Boy For Life, Slippery by Migos

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Biscuits and Gravy
  • Favorite Movie? The Wolf Of Wall Street
  • Favorite Sports Team? NY Jets
  • Favorite Athletes? Devin Booker

See some of Forrest's career athletic accomplishments below: #18 ranked Attackman on Long Island by BOTC, 3x All County Selection, Academic All County, 106 goals 104 assists 210 career points (all time school record), Kenneth Alverson Memorial Scholarship.

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Celeste Forte from Eastport South Manor High School.