Senior Spotlight Q&A w/Jake Wilson from Shoreham Wading River High School

This week, Back Of The CAGE caught up with the #5 ranked senior on Long Island and the 17th Ranked Recruit in the Country from Shoreham Wading River High School, Jake Wilson for our weekly Senior Spotlight series interviewing a new senior each week.

Jake Wilson is a dedicated Defenseman and a multi-sport athlete, that has attained achievements that prove his being a multi-tasker. He has chosen Duke University because he feels that the university will give him the best opportunity academically and athletically. Let's see how well he perform being a multi-sport athlete in his college years.

Q&A w/ Jake Wilson

Back Of The CAGE (BOTC): When you found out last year that the season was going to be canceled, what was your initial reaction and how did you deal with it and keep your spirits up?  
Jake Wilson (JW): When I found out last year that our spring season was going to be canceled I was truly upset. I felt the team and chemistry we had put together were unmatched. I also felt the team was going to be one of the best ones to ever come through the SWR program. To keep my spirits up, I continued to work knowing that there would be a time and place when we would suit up again.

BOTC: What is your favorite saying from your Coach Brendan?  
JW: One of my favorite sayings from my coaches over the years has been “faceless opponent.”

BOTC: Having missed out on playing last year, how much extra motivation (if any) does it give to you personally and to your teammates in the short amount of time that you guys have been practicing together?
JW: Having missed last year gave us all the extra motivation this year to compete at the highest level. Given the short amount of time we had this year, we competed each and every day to get the best out of each other. Even though the season didn’t end how we wanted, I am still beyond proud of my teammates and the coaching staff for what we’ve accomplished and the foundation we’ve laid for teams to come in the future.

BOTC: Although you missed last season, how much more will you treasure this season as this will be the last time that you will be playing high school lacrosse before going on to play at the collegiate level?
JW: I have and will treasure this season more than any other I have experienced during my high school career. Simply knowing this will be the last time I ever put on an SWR jersey has motivated me to be the very best version of myself and push my teammates to be the best version of themselves as well.

BOTC: What made you choose to attend the Duke University, and what other colleges were you considering?
JW:: I decided to choose Duke University because I felt it could provide me the best opportunity academically and athletically, while simultaneously competing at the highest level of College Lacrosse. The other top three colleges I was considering were UVA, Notre Dame, and Yale.

BOTC: Are you superstitious and do you have any pre-game rituals?
JW: The only superstition I have is being superstitious. No, I don’t have any pre-game rituals.

BOTC: What's on your playlist before games?
JW: Before games I mainly listen to rap along with some upbeat music.

Rapid Fire Q & A's:  
  • Favorite Food? Chicken
  • Favorite Movie? American Sniper
  • Favorite Sports Team? 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls
  • Favorite Athletes? Bo Jackson

See some of Jake's career athletic accomplishments below: 2021 U.S. Lacrosse All-American. 2021 Under Armour All-American. 2021 Nike National All-Star. 2021 Defensive Player of the Year. 2021 SCFCA League 7 Football Player of the Year. 2019 NYSPHAA Sportsmanship award. 2021 1st team All-Long Football player.

Check BackOfTheCAGE.com to meet Maddigan Miller from Bayport Blue Point High School.